Applying to study abroad can appear to be a complex process and while there are several steps, it should not be overwhelming. The Office of Study Abroad is here to help you through the process and will work with you every step of the way. After you begin your application, you will see an electronic checklist that will help you through the process.
- Meet with an advisor! If you have not already met with a coordinator at the Office of Study Abroad, we recommend that you make an appointment to talk about the program you are interested in. To make an appointment, please call our office at (785)864-3742. Our coordinators are each responsible for a specific region, if you are not yet sure where you want to study abroad (or on what program) then we would recommend stopping by our Peer Resource Library located in 105 Lippincott.
- Begin an application online! KU students can begin an application by clicking the “Apply Now” button on the top of the program brochure page that they would like to apply to.
- Complete your application. All applicants will be required to complete several documents for the application. Below is a list of the typical documents that will need to be completed for an application, however please keep in mind that the requirements will vary by program. After an application is created, students will see a checklist of specific required documents for their program application.
- Statement of Purpose
- Official Transcript/Un-official Transcript or Advising Report
- Depending on the program, an official paper transcript may be required (this cannot be the Electronic PDF transcript) or students may be able to submit an un-official transcript online.
- Depending on the program, students may be asked to submit one or two recommendations. These may be requested and submitted online.
- Authorization to Release Student Information
- Any additional forms required by the specific program.
- If the program has additional required forms, the forms will be viewable as soon as an application is created.
There are several programs that are open to Non-KU students. Non-KU students will be asked to complete the requirements above. Once accepted, Non-KU students will be asked to apply to KU as a non-degree seeking study abroad student. For more information about the options and processes, please visit our Non-KU student section.