EuroScholars Research Abroad
- Spend a semester gaining hands-on research experience at one of Europe's top institutions, under the direct supervision of professors and other academic staff
- Collaborate and share experiences with like-minded students
- Develop professionally by exploring research as a long-term career option
EuroScholars is a unique, research-intensive study abroad program designed for talented and advanced undergraduate students. The program combines a study abroad experience with the opportunity to join a research team and participate in an ongoing investigation at an internationally renowned European research university.
The program includes:
- Admissions advising and pre-departure support
- Tuition at the host university
- Housing in an approved university facility.
- An orientation at the host campus and on-site support throughout the semester
- Research project supervision
- International medical insurance. All students will be automatically enrolled by ISA. A description of coverage is available on the ISA Website. Please note that some countries will require students to purchase additional coverage for visa purposes.
- The Mid-Stay Program. During the semester a "Mid-Stay Program" will be organized for all EuroScholars students at one of the host institutions. All travel and lodging expenses are included in the EuroScholars program fee. The Mid-Stay program will consist of an academic portion, in which students will present on their research findings up to the point of the semester, as well as social activities around the host city.
The participating universities are research-intensive universities, all internationally recognized for their outstanding research in numerous fields. All of the participating institutions are ranked in the top two percent of the 4,000 universities in all of Europe.
- University of Leuven, Belgium
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Munich, Germany
- Ruprecht Karls Universität, Heidelberg, Germany
- Leiden University, Leiden, Netherlands
- Utrecht University, Utrecht, Netherlands
- Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
- University of of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
- University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
The EuroScholars academic structure is customizable per student, based on their qualifying coursework and experience. Each student's semester will be transcripted as a full-time semester workload. A maximum of 30 ECTS credits are included in the program, with a minimum of 18 ECTS devoted to research. Once accepted to a project, a student will complete the EuroScholars Learning Agreement to outline their course configuration for the semester.
The program is comprised of:
- The research project
- A Language and Culture course, to enhance the student's experience outside of the lab
Additional course options (to be determined by the student, their U.S. university advisors and host university faculty):
- An in-depth Methods and Literature Review on the chosen research topic, designed to enrich the student's appreciation and understanding of the subject
- An elective course in the field of research (please not that this is not possible at all universities or in all academic areas as it depends on availability of courses taught in English at the host institution, or the proficiency of the student in the local language)
Housing is an approved university facility. Please note an additional housing security deposit may be required from student.
EuroScholars is a once in a lifetime opportunity for students to become familiar with the European academic culture and to investigate their potential in a future research career while enjoying the value of conducting research abroad as an undergraduate student.
EuroScholars is looking for independent, mature, and motivated undergraduate students with a strong interest in an academic and/or research career. A minimum GPA of 3.4 is required. Research experience is not required; however, natural science students should have ample academic experience in a laboratory setting. Students must obtain approval by both the host and home universities.
EuroScholars website: euroscholars.eu