Internships in Sydney
- Gain in-demand global skills and hands-on experience in your field
- Experience Australian culture first-hand by living and working in Sydney for 8 weeks
- Earn 3 KU internship credits
- Explore Sydney and/or travel during weekends
- Three-day orientation provides an introduction to the city, an opening seminar, as well as excursions to local landmarks and confirmation interviews
- CIEE also offers up to $1,500 in need-based grants for Pell-eligible students.
Only a small percentage of students study abroad – and even fewer intern abroad - so participation in an internship overseas can give you the professional advantage you need to succeed by giving you in demand global skills. The University of Kansas (KU) has partnered with CIEE, an internship and study abroad program provider, to offer high-quality placements in Sydney, Australia. The internships, for which you earn academic credit from KU, are unpaid. They are available in a wide-range of fields including the arts, business, communication, economics, journalism, politics, healthcare, social policy, and hospitality. Other fields are available on a more limited basis so if your field is not listed, please inquire with the Study Abroad & Global Engagement.
CIEE strives to place students in internships that relate to their course of study, thus ensuring the quality and academic relevance. Placements are based on student skills, interests, and professional goals as well as the project needs and work cycles of internship sponsors. The companies and organizations selected as internship sites are carefully monitored by site visits and student assessment.
Learn about the CIEE placement process here.
This 8-week program begins with a 2-day orientation to the city of Sydney. Students will intern full-time (typically 35-40 hours per week) Monday through Friday. They will have weekends off to explore Sydney and Australia.
Whether exploring the Sydney waterfront, or visiting musical hubs and museums, Sydney is spectacularly draped around the harbour, beaches and town center. As the capital of New South Wales, and one of Australia's largest cities, Sydney offers beauty, business and culture. With more than $108 billion generated each year, Sydney is recognized as Australia's only global city and the leader in the nation's economy. Both a hub of business, nature, and culture, Sydney boasts some of the world’s most structurally unique architecture, diverse cuisine and spectacular history. As an English-speaking city, Sydney is an ideal venue for a challenging and rewarding internship program.
Students will have the opportunity to participate in a broad range of excursions and activities such as kayaking through Sydney Harbour, enjoying a traditional Australian BBQ, hiking the spectacular Blue Mountains, and stepping back in time with a historic walk through The Rocks – established in 1788 when Sydney was a penal colony.
Students participate in CIEE's Academic Internship Course taught in an online learning environment alongside the 8-week, full-time internship. Participation in the integrated academic seminar is mandatory for all participants. It is designed to prepare students for leadership in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse workforce. Credit has been pre-approved to transfer to KU in the following ways and will post to each student’s KU transcript after the conclusion of the program.
Please Note: Some academic departments offer departmental internship credit not listed below so students are encouraged to check with their department about credit options. Past students have received internship credit through ACCT, ADS, EVRN, FMS, HNRS, HSES, SPLH, etc.
- LA&S 490 – Internship Exploration (5 credits) Open to students of any major and level.Fulfills KU Core Goal 6.1 Integration and Creativity.
- GIST 495 – Global Internship (3 credits) Open to students of any major and level.
- BUS 300 – Topics in Business: Internship (3 credits) Open to Business/Pre-Business majors who have taken ACCT 200 and completed at least 30 hours of college-level credit prior to the start of the program.
- JOUR 507 - Practicum in Journalism (3 credits) Open to journalism majors who have completed either JOUR 415 or JOUR 560 (or Jour 435) with a grade of 2.0+, and at least eleven hours of journalism with a GPA of 2.5+, both overall and in journalism.
- PSYC 483 – Undergraduate Internship Psychology (3 credits) Open to psychology majors and minors.
Housing accommodations include a mix of shared rooms in apartment-style or student dormitory complexes with common spaces to spend time with peers. Housing is included in the program cost.
Students willl have access to kitchen facilities to prepare their own meals. Sydney has a vibrant food scene with fresh local fruits, vegetables, and meats readily available. Australian food has influences from all corners of the globe, so there’s something for every palate.
Excursions & Activities
- Kayak with your “mates” through Sydney Harbor before a traditional Australian BBQ
- Hike the spectacular Blue Mountains with experienced and informed guides ready to share the environmental and cultural history of the spectacular landscape
- Step back in time with a historic walk through The Rocks – established in 1788 when Sydney was a penal colony
Projects, Volunteer Opportunities, or Internships
- Take advantage of resume guidance and hone your interviewing skills with the help of local business professionals
- Explore the professional working world of Sydney through organizational site visits, industry networking events, and guest lectures
- Participate in workshops that will help you make the most of your internship
Students need to have a GPA of at least 2.5. Rising sophomore standing and above required at time of participation.
*Additional visa restrictions may apply and CIEE will advise students as part of the early application process.
Step 1: Complete KU application. Below is a list of the required documents and questionnaires.
a. Statement of Purpose
b. Verification of Minimum GPA Requirement
c. Unofficial Transcript or Advising Report
d. 1 Recommendation - academic or professional
e. Authorization to Release Student Information
f. Student Conduct Verification
g. Academic Plan & Approval Form
h. Financial Aid Questionnaire
i. Passport Information Required Reading
j. CIEE Application Instructions Required Reading
Step 2: Complete CIEE's Sydney Summer Global Internship application. See the CIEE Application Instructions in your Jayhawks Abroad account for details.