Tokyo Internship Program (CIEE)
- Intern in Tokyo during the lead-up to the Summer 2021 Olympics!
- Internships available in the fields of business and communications, information technology and computer science, and nonprofit and NGO. Learn more here.
- Gain in-demand global skills and hands-on experience in your field during this 8-week summer program.
- Build your resume and expand your professional network.
- Internships are conducted in English so there is no foreign language requirement.
- Earn KU credit for your internship.
- A significant number of $2,500-$5,000 scholarships are available to participants in this program. Visit Freeman East Asia Internship Scholarships to learn more!
- CIEE also offers up to $1,500 in need-based grants for Pell-eligible students.
Participation in an international internship allows students to experience the benefits of studying abroad while also gaining real-world professional work experience. Only a small percentage of students study abroad – and even fewer intern abroad - so participation in an internship overseas can give you the professional advantage you need to succeed by giving you in demand global skills. The University of Kansas (KU) has partnered with CIEE, an internship and study abroad program provider, to offer high-quality placements in Tokyo, Japan. The internships, for which you earn academic credit from KU, are unpaid. They are available in the fields of business and communications, information technology and computer science, and nonprofit and NGO.
CIEE strives to place students in internships that directly relate to their course of study, thus ensuring the quality and academic relevance. Placements are based on student skills, interests, and professional goals as well as the project needs and work cycles of internship sponsors. The companies and organizations selected as internship sites are carefully monitored by site visits and student assessment.
Tokyo is Asia’s largest metropolitan area with over 38 million residents and nearly 30 million additional visitors per year. Home to some of the world’s largest companies and brands, Tokyo offers students a vibrant global commercial hub with a cosmopolitan culture, world-class arts, amazing restaurants and street food, and a varied mix of small, medium, and large companies perfect for developing your professional skillset.
Not only is Tokyo one of the most dynamic and modern cities in the world, but it’s also one of the world’s most popular trendsetters. From technology to fashion, cuisine to cinema, Japanese culture has traveled far and wide around the globe.
Students participate in CIEE's Academic Internship Course taught in an online learning environment alongside the 8-week, full-time internship. Participation in the integrated academic seminar is mandatory for all participants. It is designed to prepare students for leadership in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse workforce. Credit has been pre-approved to transfer to KU in the following ways and will post to each student’s KU transcript after the conclusion of the program.
Please Note: Some academic departments offer departmental internship credit not listed below so students are encouraged to check with their department about credit options. Past students have received internship credit through ACCT, ADS, BIOL, EVRN, FMS, HNRS, HSES, SPLH, etc.
- LA&S 490 – Internship Exploration (5 credits) Open to students of any major and level.Fulfills KU Core Goal 6.1 Integration and Creativity.
- GIST 495 – Global Internship (3 credits) Open to students of any major and level.
- BUS 300 – Topics in Business: Internship (3 credits) Open to Business/Pre-Business majors who have taken ACCT 200 and completed at least 30 hours of college-level credit prior to the start of the program.
- JOUR 507 – Practicum in Journalism (3 credits) Open to journalism majors who have completed either JOUR 415 or JOUR 560 (or Jour 435) with a grade of 2.0+, and at least eleven hours of journalism with a GPA of 2.5+, both overall and in journalism.
- PSYC 483 – Undergraduate Internship Psychology (3 credits) Open to psychology majors and minors.
Students will stay in shared rooms, typically two students per room, in a location accessible to CIEE Tokyo. Meals are not included, but students can prepare meals in shared kitchens at their program housing.
Excursions & Activities
- Take in Tokyo’s beautiful night scenery with a trip on the open-air Sky Bus
- Experience Japan’s passion for baseball at a local stadium
- Set out across the 918-m-long-single-span suspension bridge to Odaiba.
- Find inner peace in an authentic Zen garden.
- Refine your resume and interviewing skills for the local business culture
- Explore the professional working world of Tokyo through organizational site visits, industry networking events, and guest lectures
- Participate in workshops that will help you make the most of your internship
Open to students with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher. Exceptions are considered with the submission of a GPA petition. Due to the Summer 2021 Olympic Games, internship opportunities will be limited to the following areas:
- Business and Communications
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Non-profits and NGOs
We encourage students with an interest in Tokyo to apply early as the program is competitive and spots are limited for Summer 2021. Students should have relevant academic or professional experience related to the above mentioned internship fields before applying.