Virtual International Internships
- Gain in-demand global skills and experience in your field
- Engage internationally while staying local
- Build your resume and expand your professional network
- Earn academic credit applicable toward your major, minor, electives or the KU Core for your internship
- Internships are 20 hours per week - choose between 11 and 6-week semester options and a 6-week summer option
Gain international work experience and develop global professional competencies through a virtual international internship offered in partnership with CAPA. In a world becoming more reliant on connecting, collaborating and performing virtually, our remote internships educate, enable and empower you to develop skills today that will prepare you for employers' needs of tomorrow.
Learn to work and excel in a global environment with international colleagues and student peers from across the US, gain remote professional networking and social skills, and learn how to communicate and operate in an international context. Plus benefit from the 3-credit Global Internship Course. The course focuses on building personal and professional development skills alongside other CAPA internship students delivered by dynamic academic coaches in an collaborative environment.
CAPA has been placing US undergraduates in global internships for more than 25 years. CAPA works with each student to find a placement that directly connects to interests and career goals. CAPA offers a well-established and highly respected internship program with hundreds of remote intern abroad positions available through CAPA's extensive network of placement sites across the globe.
Placements are available in a range of fields and industries, including:
Advertising & PR | Business | Communications | Data Analytics | Education | Finance | Fundraising & Philanthropy | Game Design & Development | Graphic Design | Healthcare & Life Sciences | Human Resources | Interior Design | IT & Computer Systems | Marketing & Communications | Sports Management | Video Editing & Animation | Web Design
Enhance your experience with CAPA's Virtual My Global City Events. The Virtual My Global City calendar includes fun and engaging social events and cultural activities with opportunities for reflection. Activities are chosen based on their relevance to our Student Learning and Development Outcomes: Globalization, Urban Environments, Social Dynamics, Diversity, and Personal and Professional Development.
CAPA's places students across its extensive network of placement sites in Barcelona, Spain; Dublin, Ireland; Florence, Italy; London, England; and Sydney, Australia.
Delivered by dynamic academic coaches and mentors, the course focuses on building personal and professional skills with the intention of preparing students to articulate their learning to future employers and or graduate schools. The virtual in-class active learning approach gives students the opportunity to discuss and analyze theories and models of work and to compare and contrast global organizational behavior and management in a cross-cultural context. A variety of teaching and learning activities will be used, for example: lecture, workshop, discussion, informal and formal presentations, self-guided and guided research, and mock interviews.
Credit can be approved to transfer to KU in the following ways and will post to each student’s KU transcript after the conclusion of the program.
Please Note: Some academic departments offer departmental internship credit not listed below so students are encouraged to check with their department about credit options. Past international internship students have received internship credit through ACCT, ADS, EVRN, FMS, HNRS, HSES, SPLH, etc.
- LA&S 490 – Internship Exploration (3-5 credits) Open to students of any major and level.Fulfills KU Core Goal 6.1 Integration and Creativity.
- GIST 495 – Global Internship (3 credits) Open to students of any major and level.
- BUS 300 – Topics in Business: Internship (3 credits) Open to Business/Pre-Business majors who have taken ACCT 200 and completed at least 30 hours of college-level credit prior to the start of the program.
- JOUR 507 - Practicum in Journalism (3 credits) Open to journalism majors who have completed either JOUR 415 or JOUR 560 (or Jour 435) with a grade of 2.0+, and at least eleven hours of journalism with a GPA of 2.5+, both overall and in journalism.
- PSYC 483 – Undergraduate Internship Psychology (3 credits) Open to psychology majors and minors.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.8 (on a 4.0 scale).*
- Be the equivalent of at least a 2nd semester Sophomore (strongly recommended).
- Submit your completed application along with supporting documents and your deposit by the program deadline.
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing with your home institution.
*Students with a GPA below the requirement may be admitted on a case by case basis. Please contact us below for details or chat with an Admissions Advisor today.
Students participating in a virtual international internship programs during the spring and summer 2021 terms are eligible to apply for KU Study Abroad & Global Engagement scholarships. Access the scholarship application here.