EUCOM Department of Defense Internship Program
- Gain hands-on work experience in your field
- Learn about new and emerging occupations and professions
- Earn KU internship credit
- Obtain Department of Defense SECRET clearance
- Fantastic opportunity for students interested in working for the intelligence community
Participants selected for this program complete a 9 week internship with the Department of Defense at United States European Command (EUCOM), located in Stuttgart Germany. EUCOM is a unified combatant command (COCOM) whose mission is to conduct military operations and build partner capacity to enhance transatlantic security and support lasting stability and peace in Europe and Eurasia. Its focus includes 51 countries and territories and it is one of two COCOMs based overseas, and is the only one located within its area of focus.
Participants are exposed to the work environment while learning about the Department of Defense missions and responsibilities. Internships are available in a wide range of fields including but not limited to international relations, intelligence history, public affairs, etc.
EUCOM is located in Stuttgart, Germany; capital of Baden-Württemberg region. With 580,000 inhabitants, it is also the economic, cultural, sporting and social hub of the region. Stuttgart's location is unique in a valley surrounded by steeply rising slopes on 3 sides. Surrounded by three wooded elevations, the city is open in the east to the River Neckar creating a pleasant climate. Rich vineyards reach into the inner city with parks, forests, and orchards covering more than half of the city.
The majority of EVIP positions will be located in Stuttgart, however, participants may also be placed at US embassies in other locations depending on their interests.
Internships are for credit and graded. Credit is available through the University Career Center (UCC) as well as a variety of academic departments such as Business, Global & International Studies, Journalism, Psychology, and Honors for 1-5 credits.
To qualify for consideration in this program, applicants must meet all four criteria*:
- Enrolled, at least half-time, in any accredited undergraduate or graduate educational institution degree program.
- Hold and maintain a GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Available to work a minimum of nine (9) weeks in the program (work schedules vary).
- Have U.S. Citizenship and must be able to successfully complete a background security investigation.
*Preference will be given to those students that already possess a Department of Defense ID Card and SECRET or higher personnel clearance.
Once placed in the program, students may continue to volunteer as long as they meet program eligibility requirements. Participants in the Volunteer Student Internship Program must end their internship at the time of graduation or withdrawal from enrollment.
Director of Graduate Military Programs
1450 Jayhawk Blvd. Rm 222
Lawrence, KS 66045