Sport Management in Hawaii
- Travel with Dr. Jordan Bass on this unique Sport Management Study Away course to Hawaii
- Serve as a volunteer administrator of all aspects of the prestigious Sentry Tournament of Champions PGA Tour event at Kapalua on the island of Maui
- Visit the famous Kaanapali beach, experience Hawaii's unique water sports, take part in a sunset sail, and visit the island of Oahu and the Pearl Harbor Memorial.
Maui is the second-largest landmass in the Hawaiian island chain, which consists of eight major islands and 124 islets. The island of Maui features an abundance of beaches, especially along the famed West Coast where Kaanapali is located. Sun is abundant, as the volcanoes in the center of the island block the majority of precipitation from ever reaching the western side of the island. However, while much of Maui's west coast is dry, the eastern portions of the island are lush and green.
Maui is composed of two major volcanic areas, the older and extinct West Maui Mountains and a very expansive volcano named Haleakala on the eastern side of Maui. In between the two is a deep, lush valley which has earned Maui the nickname the "Valley Isle."
Ranked as the #1 golf course in Hawaii, the Plantation Course at Kapaulua is the site of the PGA TOUR's Sentry Tournament of Champions each January and features an elite field of the previous year's PGA TOUR winners. Information on the course and tournament is available at Sentry Tournament of Champions.
Program Itinerary (tentative)
- Mid-October - Meet with PGA Tour executives by Zoom to gain an understanding of the tournament, volunteer committees, charitable beneficiaries, and overall PGA TOUR tournament processes
- Mid-November - Class begins compiling and assigning the hundreds of volunteers that apply to serve at the PGA tournament each year
- Mid-December - Pre-departure orientation to discuss final preparations for travel
Program Dates: January 1-13, 2022
- January 1st - Fly to Hawaii, check in to accommodations.
- January 2nd - Morning free to settle in and rest. Evening sunset sailing experience
- January 3rd - Day 1 of activities at the Sentry Tournament of Champions (STOC)
- January 4th - Day 2 at STOC: Volunteer material distribution, Shotlink training, Am-Am event, Shopping Spree and Draw Experience operation
- January 5th - Day 3 at STOC: Pro-Am registration and operation, Awards Party operation
- January 6th - First round of STOC tournament, half the group will have an off day and the other half will rotate through different tournament duties
- January 7th - Second round of STOC tournament, half the group will have an off day and the other half will rotate through different tournament duties
- January 8th - Third round of STOC, full group will rotate through different tournament duties
- January 9th - Final round of STOC, full group will rotate through different tournament duties
- January 10th - Free day to take part in optional activities.
- January 11th - Fly to Oahu, spend day at Pearl Harbor and explore Honolulu
- January 12th - Learn about and experience water sports in Hawaii
- January 13th - Final day in Hawaii, free time until evening flight back to Kansas City (or your home location)
This class will meet periodically during the Fall 2021 semester beginning in mid-October. Specific dates and times to be determined.
Undergraduate students will enroll in HSES 598 Special Course during the Spring 2022 for three credit hours. For Sport Management majors, this will count as an upper division elective. For Sport Management minors, it will count as one of the two required electives. Other majors, please check with your advisor.
Graduate students will enroll in HSES 897 Independent Study for three credit hours in Spring 2022. Students who have already completed this course should contact Dr. Bass about other potential course replacement.
Students will be housed in double-occupancy rooms at the Royal Lahaina Resort in Lahaina, Maui.
Meals at the resort are not included in the program fee though there are ample eateries both at the resort and in the vicinity. Some breakfasts and lunches will be provided by the Sentry Tournament of Champions for volunteers on days during which KU students are working. In addition, several group dinners are included in the program.
SAGE is dedicated to creating experiential opportunities that meet the needs of all our students and to providing resources to support you through the process of studying in a new context. Study abroad or away is achievable for students of all identities including our BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ students, students with disabilities, and students with religious/non-religious viewpoints. Before selecting a program, consider how your identities may impact your experience in unique ways and talk with your Program Coordinator about any program-specific concerns. Students with documented disabilities should discuss any accommodation needs with their Program Coordinator early in the planning process.
We encourage you to review our Identity Abroad page and the resources listed below for information specific to you and other students who may be on your program.
Program Cost for Sport Management in Hawaii - Winter Break
Jordan R. Bass, Ph.D. is the Associate Department Chair, Sport Management Program Director, and Associate Professor in the Health, Sport, and Exercise Sciences Department. Dr. Bass is in his seventh year at the University of Kansas. Dr. Bass has published in journals such as Sport Management Review, Journal of Intercollegiate Sport, the International Journal of Sport Management, the International Sport Coaching Journal, Journal of Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics, Cultural Studies-Critical Methodologies, and the Journal of Applied Sport Management. His current research agenda focuses on the organizational behavior of athletic programs, athletics place in a higher education setting, and social issues in intercollegiate athletics. Dr. Bass also serves as the founder and Co-Editor of the Journal of Amateur Sport and a Research Fellow in the Partnership for the Advancement of Sport Management at Wichita State University.