Airfare Assistance Program
The Airfare Assistance Program is designed to assist study abroad students who do not have the immediate funds to cover the costs of airfare for their study abroad program. The Airfare Assistance Program will initially cover the cost of your airfare prior to your study abroad term and then bill your full flight cost along with your KU Study Abroad Tuition and program charges on your KU Student Account so that your financial aid can apply towards the expenses.
- Must be a degree-seeking student at The University of Kansas.
- Must be accepted into a study abroad program through the University of Kansas (this includes Student Initiated Programs).
- Must have a confirmed amount of financial aid and scholarships that will cover the total fees (Airfare + KU Tuition, KU Exchange or On-site Tuition, KU Required Fees and KU Program Fees).
- Flights must be booked through the University-approved travel agency.
- Schedule an appointment with Michele Arellano, Associate Director – Student Services Study Abroad & Global Engagement. During the appointment, your financial aid status will be confirmed and your application will be reviewed to see if you meet the eligibility requirements.
- Complete the online Airfare Assistance Program Application.
- If approved, instructions on booking your flight will be given to you.
Billing and Payment Procedures
The Airfare Assistance Program is not a scholarship program. Your full flight cost will be billed to you through your KU Enroll & Pay account along with your KU Study Abroad fees as outlined on your study abroad program Financial Contract. It is your responsibility to make sure your financial aid and/or scholarships are in order to transfer and pay your flight charges and Study Abroad fees by KU payment deadlines as listed on your KU bill. KU will assess late fees if not paid in full by the deadlines. Study Abroad & Global Engagement cannot remove any late fees or enrollment holds.