On-Campus Housing

KU offers many options for students who wish to live on-campus.  If your exchange includes housing and meals in addition to tuition, Study Abroad & Global Engagement will apply for your housing on your behalf.  If your exchange is tuition-only, you can read about on-campus housing options and make arrangements for on-campus housing by completing the on-line housing contract.  Be sure to follow the instructions on the page about using Internet Explorer 6.0 or above or Firefox 3.5 and that you enable popups or else it will not work properly.  You cannot submit the housing contract until after you have received your acceptance letter from KU.  This letter will contain your KUID number which is required to set up your KU Online ID.  Once you have received your acceptance letter, you can retrieve your KU Online ID and set up your password.

Because space is limited, it is imperative that you apply for housing as soon as possible if you are on a tuition-only exchange.

If you are a tuition, room and board student, Study Abroad & Global Engagement will request a 4-person apartment in Jayhawker Towers for you (2 students to a bedroom). 
Visit Student Housing for information on on-campus housing options.

Off-Campus Housing

If you wish to live off-campus, options do exist, but it is very difficult to find housing that does not require a twelve-month lease. The best resource for available apartments is the Sunday Classified Advertisements section of the Lawrence Journal-World. Classified ads run in the paper every day, but the Sunday paper usually has the most listings. You may purchase the Journal-World, along with many other local and national newspapers, in grocery stores, convenience stores, gas stations, and vending machines. Please note that all classified ads listed in the newspaper will not necessarily appear in the on-line format.

It is also important to note that many classified ads will contain abbreviations that are not always easy to understand. Since these ads are sold by the line, people tend to abbreviate to get as much information as possible in the fewest amount of lines. Some common abbreviations are as follows:

  • incl = included
  • 1 ½ baths = one full bathroom (including a toilet, shower & bathtub) and one bathroom that includes only a toilet and a sink
  • 1 ¾ baths = one full bathroom and one bathroom with a toilet, a sink and a shower stall
  • a/c or CA = air conditioning or central air-conditioning
  • w/w = wall-to-wall carpeting
  • cpt = carpeted
  • h/w = hardwood floors
  • br = bedroom
  • dr = dining room
  • lg = living room or large depending on context
  • utils = utilities (may include gas, electricity, water, trash, etc)
  • elec = electricity
  • furn = furnished
  • gar = garage
  • yard = includes a backyard
  • eff or studio = efficiency or studio apartment – usually a very small one room apartment with a separate bathroom
  • immed = available immediately
  • d/w = dishwasher
  • w/d or w/d hookup = washer and dryer or washer/dryer hookups (washer/dryer are not included, but a faucet and outlet are provided)
  • fp or frplc = includes a wood-burning or gas fireplace
  • security building = has a locked front door in addition to locks for each apartment

(adapted from the eduPASS SmartStudent Guide)

Apartments may be found on these directories:  The Apartment Directory Online and Naismith Hall.

The Apartment Directory lists most of the larger apartment complexes in Lawrence.  However, it does not list individual apartments, only apartment complexes. Hard copies of the Apartment Directory may also be found in many local grocery stores near the front entrance.  Naismith Hall is a private residence hall adjacent to KU and provides many of the same amenities as on-campus residence halls.


Summer 2022 programs now accepting applications !

Study Abroad Information & Advising
Our office is available to help you with your study abroad questions.  Book a virtual appointment. 

Study Abroad Financial E-Advising
Personalized financial aid & scholarship advising Monday - Friday, 9 AM - 5 PM,
Book a virtual appointment.


Follow KU Study Abroad


Jayhawks Abroad Blog

Study Abroad Events
IIE Generation Study Abroad Partner

9th among public universities in the country for high quality, low cost study abroad programs — U.S. News & World Report
Longest-running exchange program in Western Hemisphere (begun in 1958) between KU and University of Costa Rica
18th in the nation among public universities for undergraduate participation in study abroad — Open Doors Report on International Educational Exchange
28.1% of KU undergraduate students study abroad prior to graduation.
KU students who study abroad graduate in four years at twice the rate of students who do not study abroad
More than 160 study abroad programs in 75 countries, with instruction in all disciplines and 20+ languages
Students can study abroad for an academic year, semester, summer, spring break, or winter break
Programs include international study, internships, service, and research opportunities
Students participating in semester, academic year, and select summer programs fulfill Goal 4.2 of the KU Core curriculum
Students can fulfill major, minor, certificate, elective, and KU Core curriculum requirements abroad
Programs are available for students in every major at KU
Financial aid is applicable to study abroad programs, and most KU scholarships and grants can be applied to study abroad
Study Abroad & Global Engagement and many academic departments offer scholarships to qualified KU students
By studying abroad, students gain a global perspective on the world and strengthen their career opportunities
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times