KU offers many options for students who wish to live on-campus. If your exchange includes housing and meals in addition to tuition, Study Abroad & Global Engagement will apply for your housing on your behalf. If your exchange is tuition-only, you can read about on-campus housing options and make arrangements for on-campus housing by completing the on-line housing contract. Be sure to follow the instructions on the page about using Internet Explorer 6.0 or above or Firefox 3.5 and that you enable popups or else it will not work properly. You cannot submit the housing contract until after you have received your acceptance letter from KU. This letter will contain your KUID number which is required to set up your KU Online ID. Once you have received your acceptance letter, you can retrieve your KU Online ID and set up your password.
Because space is limited, it is imperative that you apply for housing as soon as possible if you are on a tuition-only exchange.
If you are a tuition, room and board student, Study Abroad & Global Engagement will request a 4-person apartment in Jayhawker Towers for you (2 students to a bedroom).
Visit Student Housing for information on on-campus housing options.
If you wish to live off-campus, options do exist, but it is very difficult to find housing that does not require a twelve-month lease. The best resource for available apartments is the Sunday Classified Advertisements section of the Lawrence Journal-World. Classified ads run in the paper every day, but the Sunday paper usually has the most listings. You may purchase the Journal-World, along with many other local and national newspapers, in grocery stores, convenience stores, gas stations, and vending machines. Please note that all classified ads listed in the newspaper will not necessarily appear in the on-line format.
It is also important to note that many classified ads will contain abbreviations that are not always easy to understand. Since these ads are sold by the line, people tend to abbreviate to get as much information as possible in the fewest amount of lines. Some common abbreviations are as follows:
- incl = included
- 1 ½ baths = one full bathroom (including a toilet, shower & bathtub) and one bathroom that includes only a toilet and a sink
- 1 ¾ baths = one full bathroom and one bathroom with a toilet, a sink and a shower stall
- a/c or CA = air conditioning or central air-conditioning
- w/w = wall-to-wall carpeting
- cpt = carpeted
- h/w = hardwood floors
- br = bedroom
- dr = dining room
- lg = living room or large depending on context
- utils = utilities (may include gas, electricity, water, trash, etc)
- elec = electricity
- furn = furnished
- gar = garage
- yard = includes a backyard
- eff or studio = efficiency or studio apartment – usually a very small one room apartment with a separate bathroom
- immed = available immediately
- d/w = dishwasher
- w/d or w/d hookup = washer and dryer or washer/dryer hookups (washer/dryer are not included, but a faucet and outlet are provided)
- fp or frplc = includes a wood-burning or gas fireplace
- security building = has a locked front door in addition to locks for each apartment
(adapted from the eduPASS SmartStudent Guide)
Apartments may be found on these directories: The Apartment Directory Online and Naismith Hall.
The Apartment Directory lists most of the larger apartment complexes in Lawrence. However, it does not list individual apartments, only apartment complexes. Hard copies of the Apartment Directory may also be found in many local grocery stores near the front entrance. Naismith Hall is a private residence hall adjacent to KU and provides many of the same amenities as on-campus residence halls.