KU International Travel Policies

KU Study Abroad & Global Engagement (SAGE) upholds policies for the protection and safety of University of Kansas students traveling abroad through KU. The following policies govern all university-affiliated international travel activities by undergraduate and graduate students. 

University-Affiliated Student International Travel Policy

See KU Policy: University-Affiliated Student International Travel Policy

All undergraduate or graduate students traveling internationally with KU affiliation (including any KU financial support, departmental sponsorship, etc) must register their international travel through the Student International Travel Registry housed within Study Abroad & Global Engagement. Registration of travel ensures students have the resources necessary to be proactive in planning for their health and safety while abroad and enables the university to provide timely communication with and support to travelers in the event of an emergency during their international activities.

University-Sponsored Travel to High Risk Locations

See KU Policy: University-Sponsored Travel to High Risk Locations and Guidelines on Travel to High-Risk Locations

Due to concerns for student and employee health, safety, and security the University of Kansas does not support student participation in university-affiliated international activities or the development and administration of formal education abroad programming to locations categorized as Level 3: Reconsider Travel or Level 4: Do Not Travel by the U.S. Department of State or classified as Warning Level 3: Avoid All Non-Essential Travel by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Students will not receive university sponsorship —including credit for academic programs, financial aid and scholarships, funding for research, or endorsement of co-curricular and extracurricular activities — if traveling to these countries.

The classification level applied to each country can be accessed at the U.S. Department of State website.  Information on Level 3 or Level 4 regional designations within a country is available by reading the country-specific advisory.  A list of countries under a Warning Level 3 travel health advisory can be accessed at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.  These lists are updated regularly.

Exceptions to this policy will be considered by petition to the International Travel Review Committee (ITRC).  


All undergraduate and graduate students traveling abroad in connection with their University of Kansas studies (except international students traveling to their home country of citizenship) are required to obtain international evacuation and repatriation insurance.  The University of Kansas provides this coverage through AIG Global Assistance Services (Travel Guard). 

In addition, all students participating in an education abroad program are required to provide proof of major medical insurance to cover eventualities while abroad. Visit the health insurance page for detailed information on health insurance requirements for travel abroad.