How to apply for a passport
- Begin the application process here. If you are a first-time applicant or are renewing a passport that was issued before you were 16, you must apply in-person at the nearest Passport Acceptance Facility.
- Get your passport photos taken. This can be done at CVS, Walgreens, the UPS Store or at a travel agency such as AAA.
- Submit your application, fee, and photos. Passport applications are accepted at the main Lawrence Post Office. Given the significant delays the U.S. Department of State Passport Processing centers are currently experiencing, it is strongly recommended that students pay the additional fees to expedite BOTH the passport processing itself ($60) AND expedited return shipping ($17.56) to receive your passport within 1-2 business days after it is processed.
U.S. Passport Services Experiencing Significant Delays
US Passport Processing is experiencing significant delays due to suspension of services during COVID-19 and the high demand for passports now that travel and passport processing have resumed. Regular passport processing is taking up to 18 WEEKS (4.5 months) and expedited processing is taking up to 12 WEEKS (3 months). This means that if you were to submit your passport application today using the expedited servicing process, you may not receive your passport until October. If you are applying for a program that will require you to apply for a student or tourist visa in advance of travel, it is important to keep in mind that you must have your passport in-hand before you can begin the visa process.
- If you have applied for, but not yet received your passport you may check the status of your passport application online.
- More information on the passport application process and processing times is available on the U.S. Department of State website.
- Please contact your Study Abroad Program Coordinator by email or at 785-864-3742 if you are concerned that your passport will not arrive in time for your participation on your Study Abroad program, or if you have any questions about the information above.
- Information will be generated automatically on the status of your application. If your program will be departing in two weeks, you may call the National Passport Information Center to request expedited service on your passport. The number for the National Passport Information Center is 1-877-487-2778. You will likely have to call many times to get through the automated system and into the queue. You'll know when you've reached the phone queue when you hear the music playing.