University of New South Wales
- Please note: The UNSW program has been canceled for Spring 2022 semester. The program will be next offered Fall 2022 semester.
- Spend the fall or spring semester taking classes at UNSW
- Explore Sydney and the rest of Australia
- Petermann Scholarship available. See Further Reading below for more information.
UNSW Study Abroad Guide
University of New South Wales
The University of New South Wales (UNSW), founded in 1949, is located in Kensington, a southeastern suburb of Sydney. The University has a student population of approximately 59,000, including 14,000 international students from over 130 different countries. It is a modern, urban campus with extensive sporting and recreational activities. There are over 200 clubs and societies on campus, covering a broad range of interests.
The City of Sydney
Sydney, the capital of NSW, is the largest and oldest city in Australia. It is an exciting, cosmopolitan city that offers more entertainment, shopping and sightseeing than any other place in Australia. It is home to over 5 million people.
Students earn 12 KU credit hours during one semester abroad.
Students are encouraged to use the following resources to research available courses at the University of New South Wales and to determine if these courses will meet their academic requirements at KU.
Keep in mind:
Students should enroll in:
- 1 course for the Tailored Term
- 3 courses maximum for either Term 1 or 3.
The academic dates have changed since January 2019 and the dates are similar to the KU calendar.
UNSW Terms during KU’s Spring Semester
KU students take both Tailored Term 1 and Term 1 courses.
Tailored Term 1 courses are offered for one month starting in early January.
Term 1 courses are offered from mid-February to mid-May.
UNSW Terms during KU’s Fall Semester
KU students take both Tailored Term 3 and Term 3 courses.
Tailored Term 3 courses are offered for one month only in starting in mid-August.
Term 3 courses are offered from mid-September to mid-December.
KU COURSE EQUIVALENCY DATABASE: This is a list of:
- Courses that are currently pre-approved for KU credit (approved equivalency)
- Courses that students have had approved for KU credit in the past (possible equivalency)
CREDIT APPROVAL PROCESS: This is the procedure for obtaining KU course equivalency approval for courses you plan to take abroad.
All courses taken and grades earned while abroad must be posted as KU equivalents on a student’s KU transcript and grades will figure into a student’s KU GPA. The relevant KU academic department will make the final decision regarding posting of credit, and their application toward graduation.
UNSW Accommodations are extremely limited and are not guaranteed. Please note that UNSW Accommodations are not guaranteed, even if you apply by the deadline.
• UNSW Accommodation includes extremely limited accommodation at the self-catered University Terraces, Barker Apartments, Mulwarree Apartments, and fully-catered Kensington Colleges. Information including fees, application form and deadline is sent to students after they have been accepted into the exchange program.
• UNSW also has four other affiliated Colleges and Apartments that provide high quality accommodation.
You should apply directly to the College or Apartment as soon as possible.
Additionally students can also live at UNSW Village which is a private on campus apartment complex. Each student has their own room in a six bedroom apartment.
Applicants must be at least a second semester sophomore by the beginning of the program with a cumulative GPA of 3.0.
Joe Petermann Study Abroad Australia Memorial Scholarship
Fund created for an out-of-state, male student in his 3rd or 4th year of study at KU. The student must have expressed interest in other cultures and who will be studying abroad for a full semester in Australia. Awards up to $1,700. Interested students should complete the Study Abroad & Global Engagement Merit and Financial Need General Scholarship application to be considered for this scholarship.
UNSW Study Abroad Guidebook