• Home
  • Folkwang University of the Arts

Folkwang University of the Arts

Folkwang University of the Arts
Study at a well-known arts university in Essen, Germany during the Spring semester.
Essen, Germany
Language of Instruction: 
Academic Disciplines: 
Germanic Languages & Literatures
Program Type: 
Semester or Academic Year
Fulfills KU Core 4.2
Exchange Program
  • Study music, theatre or dance at a combined art and music university in Germany.
  • Gain knowledge of the professional and everyday world of artists.
  • Interact and learn with students from all over the world.
  • No German language required.
  • Collins Scholarship available. See Further Reading below for more information.
Program Summary: 

For more than 80 years Folkwang has stood for outstanding teaching, learning and production in the arts. The "Folkwang School of Music, Dance and Speech" was founded in 1927 by opera director Rudolf Schultz-Dornburg, stage designer Hein Heckroth, and choreographer Kurt Joos. In 1928 the school merged with the National School of Trade and Applied Arts and later became the Folkwang University of the Arts. Its main campus is in the former Werden Abbey in Essen, with additional facilities in Duisburg, Bochum and Dortmund. All four campuses are open to KU students.

Folkwang hosts about 1,600 students from almost every country in the world and produces more than 300 public events each year. It is known for its innovative and interdisciplinary approach to the arts and its role as a training ground for developing young artists. The university has eight in-house stages and partners with cultural institutions around the region.

Folkwang offers a full spectrum of arts disciplines. Refer to the Academic Information section below for additional information on fields of study.


•    Communication Design
•    Industrial Design
•    Photography


•    Music and Instrumental Training with the following instruments: Accordion, Baroque cello, Baroque flute (Traverso), Baroque violin, Bassoon, Cello, Clarinet, Double Bass, Flute, Guitar, Harp, Harpsichord, Horn, Oboe, Organ, Percussion, Piano, Recorder, Trombone, Trumpet, Tuba, Viola, and Violin.
•    Integrative Composition: Composition and Visualization, Electronic, Instrumental, and Pop.
•    Jazz: Performing Artist, Artistic Producer, and Improvising Artist
•    Music of the Middle Ages
•    Voice: Concert, Song, Oratorio, and Music Theatre
•    Orchestral Playing
•    Music Teaching
•    Music Pedagogy
•    Musicology

Theatre and Dance (placements more limited in these subjects, but still possible)

•    Musicals 
•    Acting
•    Physical Theatre 
•    Directing
•    Dance: Choreography/Interpretation/Movement Notation/Movement Analysis
•    Dance Pedagogy


The Ruhr region, in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia, has a population of approximately 5.2 million and is the largest urban conglomeration in Germany. It consists of several large, formerly industrial cities bordered by the rivers Ruhr to the south, Rhine to the west, and Lippe to the north. For 2010, the Ruhr region was named one of the European Capitals of Culture.  

Students live in Essen but can easily take courses at any of the four Folkwang campuses - Essen, Duisburg, Bochum and Dortmund. In addition to Folkwang University of the Arts, Duisburg-Essen, Bochum and Dortmund all have multiple higher educational institutions in the cities, making this region rich with student life and interesting activities.

Academic Information: 

KU students may take courses at any of the four Folkwang campuses. Many courses are offered in English, although theory courses (not applicative work) and some others require knowledge of German. Students studying music will need to identify a faculty mentor if they desire to take individual instrument/voice lessons. Some mentors may have limited availability to accept exchange students. Students not needing individual lessons can take regular courses offered at the university.  Learn more about being an exchange student at Folkwang on the exchange student webpage.

Course Information

Students typically earn 12 to 18 KU credit hours during one semester abroad. You are encouraged to use the following resources to research available courses and to determine if these courses will meet your academic requirements at KU:

Folkwang Study Courses: View a comprehensive list of available areas of study at Folkwang.

Folkwang Course Catalog: Use the course catalog, called the "Folkwang Organizer", to search specific course options. Individual and group lessons may not be included.

KU Course Equivalency Database: This is a list of courses currently pre-approved for KU credit (approved equivalency) and courses that students have had approved for KU credit in the past (possible equivalencies). Use 'Folkwang' in the search field.

German Language Courses: German language courses are offered to exchange students before and during the semester. More information on German language course options is provided by the Folkwang International Office upon acceptance to the program.

Credit Approval Process

Visit the Credit Approval Process page for detailed information on the procedure for obtaining KU course equivalency approval for courses you plan to take abroad. All courses taken and grades earned while abroad must be posted as KU equivalents on a student’s KU transcript and grades will figure into a student’s KU GPA. The relevant KU academic department will make the final decision regarding posting of credit, and their application toward graduation.


Folkwang guarantees affordable student accommodation for all exchange students. Housing is arranged through the Studentenwerk Essen-Duisburg (Essen-Duisburg Student Union) and most exchange students will live in Essen. Both private and shared student units are available; price varies based on the room type. Students use kitchen facilities in their accommodations to prepare meals, or purchase inexpensive student meals in campus cafeterias.

Identity Abroad: 

SAGE is dedicated to creating international engagement opportunities that meet the needs of all our students and providing resources to support you through the process of studying abroad. Study abroad is achievable for students of all identities including our BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ students, students with disabilities, and students with religious/non-religious viewpoints. Before selecting a program, consider how your identities may impact your experience abroad in unique ways and talk with your Program Coordinator about any program-specific concerns. Students with documented disabilities should discuss any accommodation needs with their Program Coordinator early in the planning process.

Considerations for Germany

Germany has laws in place to protect ethnic and religious minorities, LGBTQIA+ individuals, the differently abled, and other groups. Same-sex marriage is available in Germany and most large city governments officially encourage and host LGBTQIA+ pride events.  Most German universities have student groups and community organizations to support LGBTQIA+ students.

Germany’s cities and public transportation are generally accessible to individuals with disabilities.  Older sections of the cities and smaller towns may be less accessible due to centuries-old architecture, cobblestone streets, and small indoor spaces. Germany offers services for people who are mobility, sight, or hearing impaired.

Source: U.S. Department of State country information pages and Diversity Abroad.

Additional Resources

Check our Identity Abroad page and resources listed below for information specific to you and other students who may be on your program.


Open to KU undergraduate and graduate students with a minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA (exceptions considered). Students should be able to produce a portfolio sample upon request by Folkwang.

Further Reading: 

Drs. Dean T. and Elisabeth Collins Scholarship
Fund created by estate gift from the late Dean and Elisabeth Collins. Awards up to $10,000 for students on semester or $20,000 for year long programs to Germany.  Open to all majors but preference for students studying music and particularly opera. Minimum 2.5 GPA requirement. Apply online: https://ku.studioabroad.com/?go=CollinsScholarship 

German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
A wide range of scholarships are also available through the German Academic Exchange Service (www.daad.de). Please contact KU Study Abroad & Global Engagement for more information.

Folkwang Site for International Exchange Students 


Summer 2022 programs now accepting applications !

Study Abroad Information & Advising
Our office is available to help you with your study abroad questions.  Book a virtual appointment. 

Study Abroad Financial E-Advising
Personalized financial aid & scholarship advising Monday - Friday, 9 AM - 5 PM,
Book a virtual appointment.


Follow KU Study Abroad


Jayhawks Abroad Blog

Study Abroad Events
IIE Generation Study Abroad Partner

9th among public universities in the country for high quality, low cost study abroad programs — U.S. News & World Report
Longest-running exchange program in Western Hemisphere (begun in 1958) between KU and University of Costa Rica
18th in the nation among public universities for undergraduate participation in study abroad — Open Doors Report on International Educational Exchange
28.1% of KU undergraduate students study abroad prior to graduation.
KU students who study abroad graduate in four years at twice the rate of students who do not study abroad
More than 160 study abroad programs in 75 countries, with instruction in all disciplines and 20+ languages
Students can study abroad for an academic year, semester, summer, spring break, or winter break
Programs include international study, internships, service, and research opportunities
Students participating in semester, academic year, and select summer programs fulfill Goal 4.2 of the KU Core curriculum
Students can fulfill major, minor, certificate, elective, and KU Core curriculum requirements abroad
Programs are available for students in every major at KU
Financial aid is applicable to study abroad programs, and most KU scholarships and grants can be applied to study abroad
Study Abroad & Global Engagement and many academic departments offer scholarships to qualified KU students
By studying abroad, students gain a global perspective on the world and strengthen their career opportunities
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times