Student Initiated Programs in Italy and Greece

Image of Student Initiated Programs in Italy and Greece
Study abroad in Italy or Greece through an approved and accredited non-KU study abroad program.
Location: Italy, Greece
Language of Instruction: EnglishGreekItalian
Academic Disciplines: -Open to All MajorsItalian
Program Type: Student-Initiated Program
Open to non-KU Students: No
Fulfills KU Core 4.2: No
Fulfills KU Core 5: No

Student-Initiated Programs

Student-Initiated Programs (SIPs) allow KU students to earn resident KU credit for study abroad programs sponsored by other accredited U.S. universities and colleges. The SIP category also applies to degree-seeking KU students who opt to enroll directly in foreign institutions accredited by the Ministry of Education of the host country for a summer, semester, or academic year. 

Students participating in a SIP remain enrolled at KU during the study abroad program and receive KU resident credit and grades for the coursework that they complete abroad.  Continuous KU enrollment allows for access to state and federal financial aid as well as deferment of loan repayments. In addition, students on a SIP receive academic, cultural and safety information at the mandatory Study Abroad & Global Engagement (SAGE) orientation and have contact (including 24-hour emergency assistance) with SAGE while abroad.  Students also receive emergency medical evacuation and repatriation coverage for the study period.

Program Selection

Students should schedule an appointment to meet with a SAGE program coordinator before beginning the KU application process. The program coordinator will help the student determine if the non-KU program meets University of Kansas* and SIP guidelines. The program coordinator will also explain the application process in greater detail and provide the student with SAGE SIP application directions.

*Note: Out of concern for student safety and well-being, KU does not sponsor study abroad in locations where a U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory Level 3 or Level 4 or a CDC Alert Level 3 has been issued. The classification level applied to each country can be accessed via the U.S. Department of State Website. Information on Level 3 or Level 4 regional designations within a country is available by reading the country-specific advisory.  Exceptions to this policy will be considered by petition to the International Travel Review Committee (ITRC). For information regarding travel to high risk locations see KU International Travel Policies

Below are just a few of the many programs that KU students might want to consider first. Programs may change from this list, which is not updated regularly, so please refer to the host program information for details and confirmation. 



It is the student's responsibility to monitor deadlines and application procedures for the non-KU program. In addition, students must complete the KU Study Abroad & Global Engagement SIP application and scholarship application (if applicable) by the deadlines listed below.
Deadline for Winter Break, Spring Break, & Spring Semester programs: October 1
Deadline for Summer programs: March 1

Deadline for Fall and Academic Year programs: March 15
As with many other study abroad options, students must meet with departmental faculty advisors and their academic advisor in their major during the application process in order to complete an Academic Plan. Through this process they will be able to determine what equivalent KU credit they will receive for their study abroad courses. Upon acceptance to the non-KU program, students must submit a copy of the letter of acceptance from the host institution to SAGE.


All students who participate in SIPs are required to take part in the KU SAGE pre-departure orientation even if there is an on-site orientation arranged by the non-KU program. The SAGE orientation provides important academic, cultural, and safety information to all study abroad participants.


Students are required to maintain full-time student status (12 hours/semester) while abroad and to post all courses to their KU transcript.  All courses must be approved prior to departure, while abroad, or upon return by the relevant academic department. They will be posted to the KU transcript as they appear on the student’s Academic Plan & Approval Form or Credit Worksheet with the accompanying grades earned.  Grades will be calculated into the student's KU GPA.

A signed and sealed official transcript (or equivalent document) must be provided to KU Study Abroad & Global Engagement (SAGE). The transcript may be forwarded directly to the SAGE Program Coordinator or the student can hand-deliver a sealed copy.  Participants in Student-Initiated Programs (SIPs) will want to check with their provider or host institution to find out if their transcript will be sent automatically or if they must obtain one directly. 

Failing to complete the grade posting process may have other implications for academic progression, graduation or forfeiture of financial aid, including return of scholarships and repayment of loans.


By working through the KU Study Abroad office, SIP participants receive the following services/benefits:

  • Advising on academic and administrative policies and processes for study abroad at KU;
  • Enrollment at KU for the term(s) of their study abroad programs;
  • KU resident credit and grades for coursework completed abroad (this allows overseas courses to apply toward major, minor, certificate or core credits with approval of the appropriate academic unit);
  • Access to federal and state financial aid and deferment of loan repayments;
  • Eligibility for KU Study Abroad, KU, regional, and national scholarships for study abroad;
  • Pre-departure academic, cultural, and safety information at the mandatory KU Study Abroad orientation; support services while abroad; and post-study abroad career workshops and trainings;
  • Emergency services, including evacuation and repatriation coverage through AIG Travel Guard;
  • 24/7 emergency assistance through KU Study Abroad.

The following fees will be assessed for participation in a SIP. Fees are billed to students’ Enroll and Pay accounts for the term of their study abroad program.

  • Summer/Short-term: $580
  • Semester: $1,050
  • Academic Year: $1,330

The SIP fee is in addition to any tuition, fees or other expenses related to the non-KU program. 

All other program related expenses (non-KU program provider fees and/or host institution tuition, room and board etc.) are the responsibility of the student and will not be billed on your KU account. Students must make arrangements to pay these fees directly.

SAGE is dedicated to creating international engagement opportunities that meet the needs of all our students and providing resources to support you through the process of studying abroad. Study abroad is achievable for students of all identities including our BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ students, students with disabilities, and students with religious/non-religious viewpoints. Before selecting a program, consider how your identities may impact your experience abroad in unique ways and talk with your Program Coordinator about any program-specific concerns. Students with documented disabilities should discuss any accommodation needs with their Program Coordinator early in the planning process.

Check our Identity Abroad page and resources listed below for information specific to you and other students who may be on your program.

Undergraduate or graduate students may participate in a SIP as long as they meet the minimum 2.50 GPA requirement and are in good academic standing at KU. As with other programs, students must complete at least one academic term at KU prior to participating in study abroad. In all cases, the student must meet the sponsoring institution's eligibility requirements and must be accepted to the program by the sponsoring institution.

Students searching for a study abroad program are encouraged to meet with a Peer Advisor in the SAGE Info Center, located in 105 Lippincott. No appointment is necessary. 

Students who decide to do a SIP are responsible for researching their options, finding an appropriate program, and meeting with a program coordinator to discuss the program. 

The following websites are useful tools for researching non-KU programs:

IIEPassport Study Abroad



Brochures for a number of non-KU programs are available in the SAGE Info Center.