Preparing to Depart
We are excited that you have decided to study abroad and are one step closer to heading to your host country! Now that you have been accepted, you are probably wondering what you need to do next. Study Abroad & Global Engagement is here to help you every step of the way. Once you are accepted onto a program, make sure you have completed the items listed below before your departure.
Complete Listed Items Before Departure
- Login to your JayhawksAbroad account and review the acceptance materials.
- Complete the questionnaires, read the provided readings, and submit all required materials and signature documents. These include, but are not limited to, a financial contract, Liability, Medical Release and Conditions of Participation Form, a copy of your passport, and your travel plans.
- Obtain a current passport with an expiration date more than 6 months after you plan to return to the U.S. If needed, apply for a student visa. Your program coordinator can assist you with these requirements.
- Read the Travax Health Report for your host country and attend a required Travel Health Consultation.
- Attend Study Abroad Pre-Departure Orientation. This mandatory orientation will prepare you to study abroad and will help you connect to others who are going (or returnees who have gone) on your program. Details about the date and time of the KU Orientation will be included in your acceptance Required Reading documents online.
- Review the KU Study Abroad Pre-Departure Manual for packing tips, budgeting tools, policies, culture & identity information, and answers to common questions. It should be your primary resource.
Before you depart, don't forget to do the following:
Secure Financial Aid and/or Scholarships
If you are planning on using financial aid and/or scholarships to cover all or part of your study abroad fees, you must answer "Yes" to the Financial Aid & Scholarships question in your online acceptance Questionnaires. Study Abroad & Global Engagement will submit a program cost detailing the full cost of the program to the KU Financial Aid and Scholarships office (KU Visitor Center).
Make sure to contact the Financial Aid and Scholarships office at 785-864-4700 to inquire about financial aid funding and processes early. Make an appointment to speak to a Financial Counselor to go over all your options and to complete any necessary paperwork before committing to the study abroad program.
Confirm Your Acceptance and Submit Financial Contract
For most programs, you will have 2 weeks after you receive your Acceptance email to confirm your space on the program. This step includes submitting your signed Financial Contract. The Financial Contract is a binding agreement that tells our office that you have agreed to participate in the program and that you are financially responsible for paying all program related tuition and fees. It is very important that you secure financial aid before committing to the program and before signing and submitting the Financial Contract. Once our office receives your signed Financial Contract we will post your Program Fees on your KU Enroll & Pay Account.
It is your responsibility to log on to Enroll & Pay and pay your fees by the stated due dates. Non-KU students, see below for more information regarding this step. NOTE: If you withdraw from the program after you submit the Financial Contract you will still be responsible for $400 plus any non-recoverable fees (in some cases the full program fee will still be due). See your Financial Contract for more specific information.
Non-KU students will be given specific instructions on how to obtain a KU online ID for the KU Enroll & Pay system. Non-KU students will first need to be admitted to KU as Non-Degree Seeking students and then register for a KU online ID in order to enroll (see below) and pay for their program fees and tuition on the KU Enroll & Pay system.
Enroll in Study Abroad Courses
After submitting your Financial Contract, it is your responsibility to log on to Enroll & Pay and enroll in study abroad courses. All study abroad students must enroll as it is a condition of participation on study abroad programs. Instructions on enrolling into a study abroad course or study abroad courses will be included in the Enrollment section of your online materials. Late enrollment fees can apply so it is very important that you complete your enrollment soon after you are accepted into the program. In addition, financial aid disbursements can be delayed if you are not enrolled. Your tuition for the program will be posted on your Enroll & Pay account as soon as you are enrolled.
Pay for your Tuition and Program Fees
Once your Study Abroad Program Fee and Tuition is posted online, the KU Bursar’s Office will prepare a bill for you. KU Bills are available online on or about the 21st of the month and are due on the 15th of the following month.
Initial term invoices are generated as follows: Fall = August 21, Spring = January 21, and Summer = April 21. Payments must be received by the appropriate due date to avoid a non-refundable $100 late payment fee. If a second bill is sent and is not paid by the due date, another non-refundable $100 late payment fee will be assessed to the student’s account. Thereafter, a 1.5% default fee will be assessed on all unpaid tuition and fees until the charges are paid in full. A student will NOT be able to enroll in future terms, or receive a transcript or diploma until the account is paid in full.
The University of Kansas billing system is completely online. Students will be notified by email around the 21st of each month when a new eBill has been generated. To obtain your eBill, login to Enroll & Pay then select Manage Account - Print/View a Bill.
If you have any questions regarding the information above, please contact our office at 785-864-3742 or firstname.lastname@example.org.