Using Veterans Benefits to Study Abroad

Many veterans and veteran dependents are able to use their benefits to help fund their study abroad experience.  If you are interested in using your VA benefits to assist in payment of a study abroad program, you will need to work closely with Study Abroad & Global Engagement and the KU Veterans Benefits Coordinator to find a program that meets the VA requirements of the VA and your study abroad goals.  KU Study Abroad provides program budgets for all KU study abroad programs on the program page.

In general, these conditions must be met:

  • Study abroad programs must be approved by the VA, all KU Study abroad programs are approved, and universities listed on the VA WEAMS database are approved.
  • Students must be enrolled in courses that will apply to their degree program.
  • The courses at the "host" school in the foreign country must be approved and apply towards degree.

VA cannot pay any fees specific to studying abroad (study abroad program fees) unless the student is required to study abroad as part of their degree (only KU Architecture students).

VA benefits cannot pay third-party/study abroad program providers/companies

The BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing) is available if the program is an approved study abroad program through VA.

If you are a veteran or dependent of a veteran and you are interested in using your funding, please make sure to complete all the required forms with the VA office and let them know you are planning to study abroad.