Things to Know Before Searching the Course Database
- Consult with your Academic Advisor or Director of Graduate Studies about eligibility for specific courses and to discuss your overall study abroad course plan. You must meet the host institution's course prerequisites, as well as the prerequisites for the equivalent KU course.
- Research available courses in your host institution's course catalog and the course equivalency database below.
- Determine if you need faculty approval for each of the courses you plan to take abroad. See 4 below for more information.
- Database Course "Status" Definitions:
- "APPROVED equivalency" courses have been pre-approved by KU faculty. These courses DO NOT require faculty approval.
- "KU courses" are taught abroad by KU faculty. These courses DO NOT require faculty approval.
- "Possible equivalency" courses were one-time only approvals. These courses DO require faculty approval to determine if an equivalency exists for you.
- Any courses not appearing in the database DO require faculty approval by the relevant KU academic department.
- Complete your Academic Plan and Approval form (.pdf). If you are going on a KU faculty-led program or internship, you do not need to complete the academic plan and approval form. If you have courses requiring faculty approval, you must submit syllabi or course descriptions to the appropriate KU Faculty and Departmental Approvers (.pdf) and obtain a signature for each course that needs approval. If you have courses that are "APPROVED equivalency", simply write them on your form and check the box next to "Approved Equivalency". Make sure your academic advisor or director of graduate studies reviews and approves the entire completed form after you have obtained any needed course approvals.
- Course Availability: The course database is a guide and the courses listed in the database may not be offered during the term you will be abroad, nor is it all inclusive. You can identify additional course options and course availability for a specific term by visiting the host institution's schedule of courses.
How to Search the Course Database
- Enter search term(s) in the "Search" box below (wait for the search box to appear, it may take a minute). Include quotation marks. Some examples include:
- Program name: "University of Newcastle"
- Term: "Spring"
- Academic Department: "Mechanical Engineering" or "JOUR"
- Specific KU Course: "ME 306" or "Science of Materials"
- You may narrow your search by entering more than one search term. Some examples include:
- "University of Newcastle" "spring" - this will generate a list of courses taught at the University of Newcastle during KU's spring semester.
- "ME 306" "fall" - this will generate a list of ME 306 courses taught during KU's fall semester.
- You may sort your search results by clicking the light gray arrow on the right side of each column heading. Some examples include:
- Click the arrow next to the heading "KU Course #" - this will put the search results in alphabetical order according to the KU course number.
- Click the arrow next to the heading "Status"- this will will put the search results in alphabetical order according to the approval status (approved equivalency, KU course, no equivalency, possible equivalency).
- Get additional course details such as credit hours, terms offered, language of instruction, etc. by clicking the "Download to Excel" button above the course table.
|Program Name||Status||KU Course #||KU Course Title||Foreign Course #||Foreign Title||Notes|