Using Financial Aid

Many students who study abroad do so with the assistance of various forms of financial aid. Students who qualify for federal, state or institutional aid in the form of grants, loans, or scholarships through the University of Kansas may apply these awards from the Financial Aid and Scholarships (FAS) office toward study abroad provided that they are enrolled in a study abroad program through Study Abroad & Global Engagement (SAGE) at the University of Kansas. Students are urged to educate themselves about their own particular situation and their eligibility for minimum/maximum awards while choosing a study abroad program.

Any student who wishes to receive financial aid to study abroad is encouraged to make an appointment with a Financial Aid Counselor at the Financial Aid and Scholarships office (KU Visitor Center, 785-864-4700) to discuss options and processes.  Bring copies of program costs to the appointment with you.  Program costs can be found online on the top of each program brochure page under the 'Program Cost' section.

Study Abroad & Global Engagement (SAGE) also offers individualized study abroad financial planning as well as financial aid and scholarship advising for students.  Book a virtual appointment.

Types of Aid Available

The following types of aid are awarded by the Financial Aid and Scholarships office (check with the FAS office for eligibility):

    * Federal Pell Grants
    * Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)
    * Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans
    * Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan for Undergraduate Students
    * Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans for Graduate Students
    * KU Endowment Loans - This loan is perfect for students who need funds to cover visa or airfare costs.  This loan is disbursed typically 2 weeks after application for study abroad students.

Other types of aid available:

  • Study Abroad & Global Engagement Scholarships
  • Departmental Scholarships - Check with your academic department about departmental scholarships and grants that may be available to you for studying abroad. Known awards have been given through Architecture, Art History, Biology, Business, Center for East Asian Studies, Engineering, English, Environmental Studies, French & Italian, German, Honors, Humanities and Western Civilization, Center for Latin American & Caribbean Studies, and Social Welfare. 
  • Private scholarships, grants, loans from outside sources - check into resources available in the SAGE Scolarship Handbook as well as the Financial Aid and Scholarships office private scholarship listing.
  • IIE Passport has also created a clearinghouse of funding opportunities for studying abroad.

Using Federal Financial Aid for Study Abroad

               1. Fill Out Your FAFSA & Apply to a Study Abroad Program

If you have not done so already, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available online at Contact the Financial Aid and Scholarships office (FAS) if you have any questions about completing the FAFSA and to ensure you have a complete financial aid application.  You must also complete an online study abroad program application by program deadlines.   If you wish to be considered for a Study Abroad & Global Engagement Scholarship you must complete an Study Abroad & Global Engagement Scholarship Application.

2. Confirm That You Intend to Use Financial Aid on Your SAGE Online JayhawksAbroad Application

When you apply to a study abroad program, you will see a ‘Financial Aid & Scholarships’ questionnaire on your online checklist. If you intend to use scholarships, loans, VA benefits, and/or any other form of financial aid to pay for your study abroad program, you must choose ‘YES’ and answer the questions asked thereafter.  Once you have done this, Study Abroad & Global Engagement will submit your study abroad budget to the Financial Aid and Scholarships office (FAS) after you are accepted into the study abroad program. This budget will provide the total estimated program cost to FAS, which will be used to calculate your financial aid for study abroad.

3. Contact FAS to Request Additional Aid if Needed

After the Financial Aid and Scholarships office (FAS) receives your budget, you must contact their office and complete any materials needed to request additional financial aid. We encourage you to schedule an appointment with a financial aid counselor in FAS: KU Visitors Center, 1502 Iowa St; 785-864-4700; You are not guaranteed to be eligible for enough federal financial aid to pay all costs associated with your study abroad program so it is important to discuss alternate funding sources with FAS (Scholarships, KU Endowment Loans, Private/Alternative Loans.  NOTE: DO NOT commit to a study abroad program until you have secured enough financial aid and know that you can cover all costs associated with the program.

4. Accept Your Aid on KU Enroll & Pay

Once your aid is posted on your KU Enroll & Pay account, accept it and complete any promissory notes for loans. When you’ve secured enough aid to cover all costs of the program, you can commit to your study abroad program by signing the Financial Contract with SAGE. After committing to your program by signing a financial contract with SAGE, your KU study abroad program fees will be posted to your KU Enroll & Pay account.  You must also enroll in the designated course(s) for your study abroad program on Enroll & Pay so that your aid can transfer.

5. Your Financial Aid is Disbursed

Federal aid is typically available on the first day of on-campus classes, and cannot be disbursed earlier, regardless of the study abroad program dates. If you depart before aid is disbursed, you will need to plan accordingly. We highly recommend Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). The request form is available at SAGE and the Bursar's Office (Room 20, Carruth-O'Leary Hall). It is also available onlineDon’t forget to verify that you have completed all necessary paperwork with Study Abroad & Global Engagement and the Financial Aid and Scholarships office (FAS) before you depart!

Financial Aid for Summer Study Abroad

The financial aid procedures are the same for summer study abroad as for year or semester programs. In addition, there is a one-page summer financial aid application which must also be completed and is available online through Financial Aid & Scholarships office website in mid-February. Follow the steps for disbursement as outlined above in steps 2-5.

Financial Aid for the Year Following Study Abroad

Students who want to receive financial aid for the academic year following study abroad may be required to apply while they are abroad. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed every year, even if you received Financial Aid during the previous year.  More information as well as downloadable forms can be found at the Financial Aid and Scholarships office.

The information on this page is directed towards students at the University of Kansas.  Non-KU students should contact the study abroad personnel or financial aid offices on their campus for their school's policies concerning financial planning for study abroad. Students may also contact Study Abroad & Global Engagement with any questions.



Summer 2022 programs now accepting applications !

Study Abroad Information & Advising
Our office is available to help you with your study abroad questions.  Book a virtual appointment. 

Study Abroad Financial E-Advising
Personalized financial aid & scholarship advising Monday - Friday, 9 AM - 5 PM,
Book a virtual appointment.


Follow KU Study Abroad


Jayhawks Abroad Blog

Study Abroad Events
IIE Generation Study Abroad Partner

9th among public universities in the country for high quality, low cost study abroad programs — U.S. News & World Report
Longest-running exchange program in Western Hemisphere (begun in 1958) between KU and University of Costa Rica
18th in the nation among public universities for undergraduate participation in study abroad — Open Doors Report on International Educational Exchange
28.1% of KU undergraduate students study abroad prior to graduation.
KU students who study abroad graduate in four years at twice the rate of students who do not study abroad
More than 160 study abroad programs in 75 countries, with instruction in all disciplines and 20+ languages
Students can study abroad for an academic year, semester, summer, spring break, or winter break
Programs include international study, internships, service, and research opportunities
Students participating in semester, academic year, and select summer programs fulfill Goal 4.2 of the KU Core curriculum
Students can fulfill major, minor, certificate, elective, and KU Core curriculum requirements abroad
Programs are available for students in every major at KU
Financial aid is applicable to study abroad programs, and most KU scholarships and grants can be applied to study abroad
Study Abroad & Global Engagement and many academic departments offer scholarships to qualified KU students
By studying abroad, students gain a global perspective on the world and strengthen their career opportunities
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times