General Planning Tips For Italian
- With careful planning you can study abroad and still graduate on time.
- The minimum eligibility requirements to study abroad are the completion of one semester on campus and a GPA of 2.5 or higher. Some programs may have additional eligibility requirements.
- Study abroad is a great way to satisfy your KU Core requirements. Therefore, you might consider reserving some of your KU Core classes to take abroad.
- Scholarships are available for study abroad both through KU Study Abroad & Global Engagement and national organizations. Research your opportunities early.
- Courses to take at KU: There may be certain courses within the Italian curriculum that you should plan to take at KU. Meet with your academic advisor to learn more about any restrictions that may exist in your curriculum so that you can effectively plan for a study abroad experience.
When To Go
- Schedule a meeting with an academic advisor during your first semester at KU to discuss your graduation year plan and identify specific courses as well as specific timing opportunities for your study abroad experience.
- After you’ve met with your academic advisor, continue your program research by visiting the KU Study Abroad Info Center in Lippincott Hall. Study abroad peer advisors can help you to identify suitable study abroad options based upon the information you received from your advisor.
- Studying abroad usually requires two letters of recommendation, so it’s good to start identifying individuals who can speak to your academic qualifications as well as your ability to be successful during an international experience.
- The summer before your sophomore year would also be a great time to take some of your KU Core courses abroad. Applications for these programs are usually due March 1st, so visit the Study Abroad Info Center early in the spring semester to learn more about your options.
Sophomore and Junior
- Sophomore or Junior year is a common time for students to pursue a study abroad program.
- You can take a combination of ITAL major courses, ITAL elective courses, minor requirements, and/or KU Core requirements during your time abroad. Your academic advisor can help you to determine which courses to target for your study abroad experience.
- Summer internships abroad are a great way to gain valuable professional experience in a unique location. There are several locations to choose from, and you can participate in these internships the summer after your sophomore or junior year.
- If you plan to study abroad as a senior, you should first meet with an academic advisor prior to applying for a program to make sure that you are on track to complete all your degree requirements.