Student Initiated Programs in Canada

Image of a tree in Canada
Study abroad in Canada through an approved and accredited non-KU study abroad program.
Location: Dependent on Program
Language of Instruction: EnglishFrench
Academic Disciplines: -Open to All Majors
Program Type: Student-Initiated Program
Open to non-KU Students: No
Fulfills KU Core 4.2: No
Fulfills KU Core 5: No

Student-Initiated Programs (SIPs) include any study abroad program that KU Study Abroad & Global Engagement doesn't directly administer and coordinate. Typically, another university (U.S. or international) or an approved study abroad organization administers student-initiated programs.

Many Jayhawks select student-initiated programs (SIPs), and the Office of Study Abroad supports and assists all KU students during their student-initiated experiences.

Students choose SIPs for a variety of reasons, which might include:

  • Programs that your academic department selects and recommends based on your KU curriculum
  • Expanded academic opportunities that are not available through a KU administered program
  • Expanded internship, research, or service opportunities
  • Additional opportunities for foreign language study
  • Programs in a city or country where KU does not offer a program

Students who decide to participate in a SIP will work with a KU SAGE program coordinator in the selection of their their program and to ensure it meets KU requirements for academics and student safety.

There are three primary ways that KU students participate in SIPs:

  1. Directly enrolling as a visiting student at a foreign institution.
  2. Participating in a study abroad program administered by another accredited U.S. university or college.
  3. Participating in a study abroad program administered by a study abroad program provider.

Students participating in SIPs will work with their host organization in planning their study abroad experience. KU Study Abroad & Global Engagement will assist students with integrating their study abroad experience to KU.

For more information on participating in a Student-Initiated Program, please refer to this guide.  In the guide you will find step-by-step instructions on participating in a SIP; information on KU services, study abroad fees and financial aid and scholarships; and policies related to enrollment, courses, and earning credit at KU.

Selecting a Program

KU Study Abroad & Global Engagement does not endorse any particular program or program provider. The following list of programs is not comprehensive, but includes opportunities the University of Kansas has previously approved for student-initiated programs. Approval may be revoked at any time should concerns arise as to student safety or academic quality.

Students participating in SIPs typically earn 12 to 18 KU credit hours during one semester abroad and 3-9 credit hours during a summer program.

All KU study abroad SIP participants maintain student status at KU while abroad by enrolling in placeholder credits. Students must enroll full-time if they are studying abroad for a semester or academic year. The University of Kansas posts all courses taken abroad, including electives, to KU transcripts. KU will calculate all grades earned in those courses into the student’s KU GPA. KU academic departments determine what credits and course equivalents students receive through Academic Plan & Approval Form and/or Credit Worksheet.

Study Abroad & Global Engagements provides comprehensive information on how to obtain KU course equivalency approval for courses you plan to take abroad. Visit our credit page for more information. 

Students should ensure that their transcript of coursework completed abroad is sent by the host organization to KU Study Abroad & Global Engagement following completion of the program, and that their study abroad courses are posted to their KU transcript by the end of the following academic term. Failure to do so may result in immediate forfeiture of all financial aid, including return of scholarships and repayment of loans.

SAGE is dedicated to creating international engagement opportunities that meet the needs of all our students and providing resources to support you through the process of studying abroad. Study abroad is achievable for students of all identities including our BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ students, students with disabilities, and students with religious/non-religious viewpoints. Before selecting a program, consider how your identities may impact your experience abroad in unique ways and talk with your Program Coordinator about any program-specific concerns. Students with documented disabilities should discuss any accommodation needs with their Program Coordinator early in the planning process.

Additional Resources

Check our Identity Abroad page and resources listed below for information specific to you and other students who may be on your program.

All students must have a 2.50 GPA, be in good academic standing at KU, and have completed one semester at KU prior to studying abroad. Additionally, students must meet all host organization eligibility requirements.

*Note: Out of concern for student safety and well-being, KU does not sponsor study abroad in locations where a U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory Level 3 or Level 4 has been issued. The classification level applied to each country can be accessed via the U.S. Department of State website. Information on Level 3 or Level 4 regional designations within a country is available by reading the country-specific advisory.  Exceptions to this policy will be considered by petition to the International Travel Review Committee (ITRC).