Student Initiated Programs in Japan

Image of City in Japan
Study abroad in Japan through an approved and accredited non-KU study abroad program.
Location: Japan
Language of Instruction: EnglishJapanese
Program Type: Student-Initiated Program
Open to non-KU Students: No
Fulfills KU Core 4.2: No
Fulfills KU Core 5: No

•    Study abroad with a program provider, another U.S. university, or directly enroll in a foreign institution
•    Choose from a wide variety of destinations and academic options
•    Access most financial aid and scholarships
•    Receive credit at KU with approval of academic departments

Schedule a meeting with a KU Study Abroad program coordinator to learn more about the SIP process

Student-Initiated Programs (SIPs) allow KU students to study abroad for a winter break, summer, semester, or academic year and earn KU credit for programs that are not administered by KU Study Abroad & Global Engagement. SIPs expand the types of programs and locations in which Jayhawks can study, intern, or research abroad.

•    Directly enroll at a foreign institution, which is accredited by the Ministry of Education of the host country
•    Participate in a program administered by another accredited U.S. university or college
•    Participate in a program administered by a study abroad program provider

Students participating in a SIP remain enrolled at KU during their term abroad, which allows them to use institutional, state and federal financial aid, apply for KU and other scholarships, defer loan payments, and receive KU resident credit and grades for the courses they take. Students will work with both KU Study Abroad and their host university or program provider to complete all required paperwork.
Many Jayhawks choose SIP programs and receive application and advising assistance from KU Study Abroad & Global Engagement. SIP students will also receive supports both pre-departure and while abroad, including pre-departure orientation to receive academic, cultural, and safety information, 24-hour emergency assistance with KU Study Abroad, and emergency medical evacuation and repatriation coverage for the study period.

Program Selection

Students searching for a study abroad program are encouraged to visit the Study Abroad Info Center or visit the SIP pages online. The Info Center is located in 105 Lippincott Hall and is staffed by Peer Advisors, KU students who have studied abroad. No appointment is necessary. There are brochures for many SIPs available in the Info Center.

Once a student has a specific program or region in mind, they must schedule an appointment to meet with the appropriate Study Abroad & Global Engagement program coordinator before beginning the KU SIP application. The program coordinator will confirm that the chosen program meets University of Kansas and SIP guidelines and discuss the SIP application process, program budget, scholarship opportunities, and the KU credit approval process.

The University of Kansas does not endorse any host university or program provider. The following list is not comprehensive, but includes opportunities the University of Kansas has approved for student-initiated programs. Though unlikely, approval may be revoked at any time due to safety or academic concerns.

Summer Intensive Language Program Options in Japan
Summer Program Options in Japan
Semester/Year SIP Program Options in Japan

Once students have selected a program, they will complete an application through their chosen program provider AND a KU SIP application. It is the student's responsibility to monitor application procedures and deadlines for their chosen program provider, which may differ from KU’s deadlines. The KU SIP application deadlines are as follows:
•    Winter Break or Spring Semester programs: October 1
•    Summer programs: February 15
•    Fall and Academic Year programs: March 15

Students will complete post-acceptance requirements for Study Abroad & Global Engagement and their host organization. Post-acceptance requirements include paperwork for international travel, submission of travel information, and participation in the Study Abroad & Global Engagement mandatory pre-departure orientation, which provides important academic, cultural, and safety information.


Students can study in a wide variety of locations around the world; however, out of concern for student safety and well-being, KU does not sponsor study abroad in locations where a U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory Level 3 or Level 4 has been issued. The classification level applied to each country can be accessed via the U.S. Department of State Website. Information on Level 3 or Level 4 regional designations within a country is available by reading the country-specific advisory. Exceptions to this policy will be considered by petition to the International Travel Review Committee (ITRC). For information on travel to high-risk locations see KU International Travel Policies.

SAGE is dedicated to creating international engagement opportunities that meet the needs of all our students and providing resources to support you through the process of studying abroad. Study abroad is achievable for students of all identities including our BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ students, students with disabilities, and students with religious/non-religious viewpoints. Before selecting a program, consider how your identities may impact your experience abroad in unique ways and talk with your Program Coordinator about any program-specific concerns. Students with documented disabilities should discuss any accommodation needs with their Program Coordinator early in the planning process.

Check our Identity Abroad page and resources listed below for information specific to you and other students who may be on your program.

Undergraduate or graduate students may participate in a SIP as long as they meet the minimum 2.50 GPA requirement and are in good academic standing at KU. As with other programs, students must complete at least one academic term at KU prior to participating in study abroad. In all cases, the student must meet the sponsoring institution's eligibility requirements and must be accepted to the program by the sponsoring institution.

Students searching for a study abroad program are encouraged to meet with a Peer Advisor in the SAGE Info Center, located in 105 Lippincott. No appointment is necessary.  Students who decide to do a SIP are responsible for researching their options, finding an appropriate program, and meeting with a program coordinator to discuss the program. 
The following websites are useful tools for researching non-KU programs:

IIEPassport Study Abroad



Brochures for a number of non-KU programs are available in the SAGE Info Center.