Student Initiated Programs for Law Students

Image of Student Initiated Programs for Law Students
Study law abroad through an approved and accredited non-KU study abroad program.
Academic Disciplines: Law
Program Type: Student-Initiated Program
Open to non-KU Students: No
Fulfills KU Core 4.2: No
Fulfills KU Core 5: No

Student-Initiated Programs (SIPs) allow KU law students to earn resident KU credit for study abroad programs sponsored by other accredited U.S. universities and colleges. The SIP category also applies to degree-seeking KU law students who opt to enroll directly in foreign institutions accredited by the Ministry of Education of the host country for a summer, semester, or academic year. 

Law students participating in a SIP remain enrolled at KU during the study abroad program and receive KU resident credit for the coursework that they complete abroad.  The credits are applied toward the 35-credit elective requirement but grades earned during study abroad will be credit/no credit instead of a letter grade, thus the credits earned abroad do not factor into the KU law GPA or ranking. Continuous KU resident credit enrollment allows for access to state and federal financial aid as well as deferment of loan repayments. In addition, law students on a SIP receive academic, cultural and safety information at the mandatory Study Abroad & Global Engagement (SAGE) orientation and have contact (including 24-hour emergency assistance) with SAGE while abroad.  Law students also receive emergency medical evacuation and repatriation coverage for the study period.

Program Selection

Law students must schedule an appointment to meet with a SAGE program coordinator and the KU Law School Registrar before beginning the KU application process. The program coordinator will help the law student determine if the non-KU program meets University of Kansas* and SIP guidelines. The program coordinator will also explain the application process in greater detail and provide the law student with SAGE SIP application directions.

*Note: Out of concern for student safety and well-being, KU does not sponsor study abroad in locations where a U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory Level 3 or Level 4 has been issued. The classification level applied to each country can be accessed via the U.S. Department of State Website. Information on Level 3 or Level 4 regional designations within a country is available by reading the country-specific advisory.  Exceptions to this policy will be considered by petition to the International Travel Review Committee (ITRC). For information regarding travel to high risk locations see KU International Travel Policies

Below are just a few of the many programs that KU law students might want to consider first. Programs may change from this list, which is not updated regularly, so please refer to the host program information for details and confirmation. KU Study Abroad & Global Engagement does not endorse any particular program provider.

ABA Approved Programs


It is entirely the law student's responsibility to monitor deadlines and application procedures for the non-KU program. In addition, students must complete the KU Study Abroad & Global Engagement SIP application and scholarship application (if applicable) by the deadlines listed below, regardless of the non-KU program deadlines.
Deadline for Winter Break, Spring Break, & Spring Semester programs: October 1
Deadline for Fall, Academic Year, or Summer programs: March 1

Law students must meet with the KU Law School Registrar during the application process in order to complete an Academic Plan. Through this process they will be able to determine what courses they can take abroad and what KU resident credit they will receive for their study abroad courses. Upon acceptance to the non-KU program, law students must submit a copy of the letter of acceptance from the host institution to the SAGE.


All students who participate in SIPs are required to take part in the KU SAGE pre-departure orientation even if there is an on-site orientation arranged by the non-KU program. The SAGE orientation provides important academic, cultural, and safety information to all study abroad participants.


Students are required to maintain full-time student status (12 hours/semester) while abroad and post all courses to their KU transcript.  All courses must be approved prior to departure by the KU Law School. They will be posted to the KU transcript as they appear on the student’s Academic Plan & Approval Form with the grade of Credit or No Credit.  Grades will not be calculated into the student's KU Law School GPA.

A signed and sealed official transcript (or equivalent document) must be provided to KU Study Abroad & Global Engagement (SAGE). The transcript may be forwarded directly to the SAGE Program Coordinator or the student can hand-deliver a sealed copy.  Participants in Student-Initiated Programs (SIPs) will want to check with their provider or host institution to find out if their transcript will be sent automatically or if they must obtain one directly. 

Failing to complete the grade posting process will prevent graduation from KU and may have other implications such as immediate forfeiture of all financial aid, including return of scholarships and repayment of loans.


The Study Abroad & Global Engagement SIP fee includes the SAGE administrative fee, KU enrollment, SAGE pre-departure orientation, 24-hour emergency contact services, and emergency medical evacuation and repatriation services. 

Talk to your SAGE Program Coordinator to find out the current amount for the SAGE SIP fee.


SAGE is dedicated to creating international engagement opportunities that meet the needs of all our students and providing resources to support you through the process of studying abroad. Study abroad is achievable for students of all identities including our BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ students, students with disabilities, and students with religious/non-religious viewpoints. Before selecting a program, consider how your identities may impact your experience abroad in unique ways and talk with your Program Coordinator about any program-specific concerns. Students with documented disabilities should discuss any accommodation needs with their Program Coordinator early in the planning process.

Check our Identity Abroad page and resources listed below for information specific to you and other students who may be on your program.