Student Initiated Programs: Research Abroad

Image of a girl doing a chemistry experiment
Earn credit for research abroad through an approved and accredited non-KU study abroad program.
Location: Multiple Locations
Academic Disciplines: -Open to All MajorsGraduate Courses
Program Type: Research Abroad
Open to non-KU Students: No
Fulfills KU Core 4.2: No
Fulfills KU Core 5: No

Student-Initiated Programs

Student-Initiated Programs (SIPs) - Research Abroad allow KU students to earn resident KU credit for research conducted abroad for a summer/short term, semester, or academic year.

Students participating in a SIP Research Abroad through Study Abroad & Global Engagement remain enrolled at KU during the term and receive KU resident credit charged at In-State Resident Tuition Rates for the research coursework that they complete abroad. Continuous KU enrollment allows for access to state and federal financial aid as well as deferment of loan repayments. In addition, students on a SIP receive academic, cultural and safety information at the mandatory Study Abroad orientation and have contact (including 24-hour emergency assistance) with Study Abroad & Global Engagement while abroad. Students also receive emergency medical evacuation and repatriation coverage for the study period.

Application Procedures

Students must schedule an appointment to meet with a study abroad program coordinator before beginning the KU application process. The program coordinator will explain the KU application process in greater detail, provide the student with SIP application directions and register the student in the SIP Research program.

*Note: Out of concern for student safety and well-being, KU does not sponsor study abroad in locations where a U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory Level 3 or Level 4 has been issued. The classification level applied to each country can be accessed via the U.S. Department of State Website.  Information on Level 3 or Level 4 regional designations within a country is available by reading the country-specific advisory.  Exceptions to this policy will be considered by petition to the International Travel Review Committee (ITRC). For information on travel to high risk locations see KU International Travel Policies.


All students who participate in SIPs are required to take part in the KU study abroad pre-departure orientation. The study abroad orientation provides important academic, cultural, and safety information to all study abroad participants.


The Study Abroad & Global Engagement SIP fee includes the administrative fee, pre-departure orientation, 24-hour emergency contact services, and emergency medical evacuation and repatriation services. The SIP fee replaces your campus fee which will be determined during the application process and will be billed on your KU account once you commit to the program.

The SIP fee is in addition to any KU tuition and course fees related to your enrollment for the program. All other program related expenses (airfare, passport, personal expenses, room and board etc.) are the responsibility of the student and will not be billed on your KU account. Students must make arrangements to pay these fees directly.

SAGE is dedicated to creating international engagement opportunities that meet the needs of all our students and providing resources to support you through the process of studying abroad. Study abroad is achievable for students of all identities including our BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ students, students with disabilities, and students with religious/non-religious viewpoints. Before selecting a program, consider how your identities may impact your experience abroad in unique ways and talk with your Program Coordinator about any program-specific concerns. Students with documented disabilities should discuss any accommodation needs with their Program Coordinator early in the planning process.

Check our Identity Abroad page and resources listed below for information specific to you and other students who may be on your program.

Undergraduate or graduate students may participate in a SIP - Research Abroad as long as their academic department has approved their research course enrollment, they meet the minimum 2.50 GPA requirement and are in good academic standing at KU. As with other programs, students must complete at least one academic term at KU prior to participating in study abroad.