Student Initiated Virtual Internships
- Gain in-demand global skills and experience in your field
- Engage internationally while staying local
- Build your resume and expand your professional network
- Earn academic credit applicable toward your major, minor, electives or the KU Core for your internship
Are you seeking an opportunity to earn academic credit, develop your professional skills and experience, and grow your networks? As you consider how to spend your summer, consider one of the virtual international internship programs below. While we know these programs cannot fully replicate the experience of living and working in another country and culture first-hand, remote internships are a compelling opportunity in that they enable you to gain valuable work experience with an internationally-located firm and with a multicultural team. These professional experiences will help your resume stand out, build your global professional network, and expand your skillset - all while staying local.
KU has partnered with the organizations below to offer virtual international internship opportunities to KU students. The internships, for which you earn academic credit from KU, are unpaid. They are available in a wide-range of fields including business, engineering, finance and accounting, logistics, legal, information and technology, hospitality, healthcare, marketing, public relations, advertising, media and creative industries, ngo's, charities, non-profits, travel and tourism.
Each organization strives to place students in internships that directly relate to their course of study, thus ensuring the quality and academic relevance. Placements are based on student skills, interests, and professional goals as well as the project needs and work cycles of internship sponsors. The companies and organizations selected as internship sites are carefully vetted in advance of student placement.
Click the links below to see full program details on each of the virtual internship opportunities available this summer.
- Program Dates:
- Varying start dates beginning every other Monday starting May 24, 2021.
- Available in 4, 8, & 12-week durations
- Locations: Asia, Australasia, Africa, Europe, & South America
- Program Fee: $1,195 (without credit) + $300 add-on for 3 credits or $550 add-on for 5 credits
- Application Deadline: Rolling - must apply at least 6 weeks prior to start date
- Program Dates: June 4 – July 30, 2021 (8 weeks)
- Locations: Australia, Peru, Spain, & Vietnam
- Program Fee: $1,550 + $300 for 3 credits
- Application Deadline: May 1, 2021
- Program Dates: June 1 - July 23, June 14 - August 6, or June 28 - August 20 ( 8 weeks)
- Locations: Australia, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Spain
- Program Fee: $1,500 (without credit) + $600 add-on for 3 or 6 credits
- Application Deadline: May 8 (June 1 start), May 15 (June 14 start and all credit-seekers ), May 30 (June 28 start)
- Program Dates: June 14 – August 6, 2021 (8 weeks)
- Locations: Canada, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Singapore, Spain, South Africa, & UK
- Program Fee: $1,450 (does not include academic credit)*
- Application Deadline: May 1, 2021
*1-5 hours of academic credit may be earned at KU for CIEE internship programs. Students pay their standard tuition rate for these credit hours in addition to the fees listed above.
In addition to the program fee advertised above, students will have a KU required fee of $250 + the cost of credits. For students enrolling in a program offered through CAPA, CEA, CRCC Asia/Virtual Internships, or ISA/Worldstrides, this cost is $40. For students enrolling in programs through CIEE or CIS Abroad, students will pay their standard tuition rate for the number of KU credit hours in which they enroll. These KU fees cover the following services and benefits:
- Advising on academic and administrative policies and processes for virtual international internships;
- Enrollment at KU for the summer term;
- KU credit and grades for the internship program (this allows credits to apply toward major, minor, certificate or core credits with approval of the appropriate academic unit);
- Access to federal and state financial aid through KU;
- Eligibility for KU Study Abroad scholarships
Students participating in a virtual international internship program during the summer 2021 are eligible to apply for KU Study Abroad & Global Engagement need-based scholarships of up to $500. Access the scholarship application at KU SAGE Scholarship for Virtual Programs.
All internships are for credit and graded through a course, which complements the internship experience. For most programs, academic credit will be earned through the program providers' school of record and posted to students KU transcripts. For students opting to go through CIEE, students enroll directly in KU coursework. Credit is available through the University Career Center as well as a variety of academic departments such as Business, Global & International Studies, Design, Journalism, Psychology, and Honors.
SAGE is dedicated to creating international engagement opportunities that meet the needs of all our students and providing resources to support you through the process of studying abroad. Study abroad is achievable for students of all identities including our BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ students, students with disabilities, and students with religious/non-religious viewpoints. Before selecting a program, consider how your identities may impact your experience abroad in unique ways and talk with your Program Coordinator about any program-specific concerns. Students with documented disabilities should discuss any accommodation needs with their Program Coordinator early in the planning process.
Check our Identity Abroad page and resources listed below for information specific to you and other students who may be on your program.