Advising Guide for Study Abroad in
Click a topic to jump to that section:
- General Planning Tips for Speech-Language-Hearing
- When to go
- Courses and Credit
- Recommended Programs
- With careful and early planning SPLH majors can study abroad for a semester and still graduate on time. SPLH students typically study abroad during their sophomore or junior year.
- There are several institutions that offer equivalent courses to your required SPLH courses, allowing you to stay on track towards graduation. Conversely, some of the course options available abroad focus on concepts and topics unique to that particular institution giving you a chance to study something that is not offered at KU.
- Study abroad is a great way to satisfy your KU Core requirements. Therefore, it is a good idea to reserve some of your KU Core classes to take abroad.
- Scholarships are available for study abroad both through the KU Office of Study Abroad and national organizations. Research your opportunities early.
- U.S. Specific Courses: Because certification requirements will include knowledge of US-based content, there are several courses that should be taken at KU so that you can meet those requirements. They include: SPLH 120, SPLH 261, SPLH 568, and SPLH 620.
- Schedule a meeting with an SPLH advisor during your first semester at KU to discuss your graduation plan and identify specific courses as well as specific timing opportunities for your study abroad experience.
- After you've met with your academic advisor, continue your program research by visiting the KU Office of Study Abroad Info Center in Lippincott Hall. Study abroad peer advisors can help you to identify suitable study abroad options based upon the information you received from your advisor.
- Studying abroad usually requires two letters of recommendation, so it's good to start identifying individuals who can speak to your academic qualifications as well as your ability to be successful during an international experience.
- Complete your SPLH Introductory Knowledge courses, SPLH 120 and 261, before going abroad.
- The Speech-Language-Hearing department offers a faculty-led summer program in Peru which gives students a unique experience with a non-profit organization that serves people with disabilities and their families. You may be eligible for this program after completing two semesters of college-level coursework.
- The summer before your sophomore year would also be a great time to take some of your KU Core courses abroad. Applications for these programs are usually due around March 1st, so visit the Study Abroad Info Center early in the spring semester to learn more about your options.
Sophomore & Junior
- Most SPLH students study abroad during their sophomore or junior year. In order for you to complete your SPLH practicum on time, it is recommended that you do not study abroad during the spring of your sophomore year. You are encouraged to take Hearing Science, SPLH 463, at KU your sophomore year, and it is only offered in the spring semester.
- Several SPLH Core Knowledge and Skills courses typically taken during the sophomore and junior years are commonly offered abroad. They include: SPLH 462, 465, 466, 565, 566, 571, and 660.
- Audiological Assessment, SPLH 568, should also be taken at KU. This course is offered at KU in both the fall and spring semesters giving you flexibility as you plan for a study abroad experience.
- You can take a combination of SPLH major courses, electives, second major/minor requirements, and/or KU Core requirements during your semester abroad.
- In addition to the faculty-led program in Peru, internships abroad are another great summer program option. You can gain valuable professional experience in a unique location, and you can participate in these internships the summer after your sophomore or junior year.
- If you go abroad as a senior, work closely with your academic advisor prior to your departure to make sure that you have completed all your degree requirements.
- SPLH majors are required to take The Communicating Brain, SPLH 620, at KU. You should not study abroad during the spring of your senior year if you have not yet taken this course and are planning to graduate that term.
- SPLH faculty have already pre-approved a number of SPLH courses abroad. To see available pre-approved courses, visit the Course Equivalency Database.
- If you want to take a class/classes that have not been pre-approved, complete the credit approval process.
Recommended Timing: Spring semester - junior year
Sample Courses: Speech Science, Language Development, Research Methods, Language Sample Analysis, Clinical Phonetics
Recommended Timing: Fall semester - junior year
Sample Courses: Statistics, Speech Science, Language Development, Research Methods, Intro to Speech-Language Pathology
Recommended Timing: Spring semester - junior year
Sample Courses: Language Science, Language Development, Research Methods, Fundamentals of Clinical Phonetics
Recommended Timing: Any summer
Course: SPLH 452 - Examining Global Perspectives in Speech-Language-Hearing
Recommended Timing: Summer - after sophomore or junior year
Sample Courses: Varies by location