Student Initiated Programs in Scandinavia, Nordic Countries, and the Netherlands

Image of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Study abroad in Scandinavia, Nordic Countries, or the Netherlands through an approved and accredited non-KU study abroad program.
Location: Scandinavia, Nordic Countries, the Netherlands
Academic Disciplines: -Open to All Majors
Program Type: Student-Initiated Program
Open to non-KU Students: No
Fulfills KU Core 4.2: No
Fulfills KU Core 5: No

  • Study abroad with a program provider, another U.S. university, or directly enroll in a foreign institution
  • Choose from a wide variety of destinations and academic options
  • Access most financial aid and scholarships
  • Receive credit at KU with approval of academic departments

Schedule a meeting with a KU Study Abroad program coordinator to learn more about the SIP process.

Student-Initiated Programs (SIPs) allow KU students to study abroad for a winter break, summer, semester, or academic year and earn KU credit for programs that are not administered by KU Study Abroad & Global Engagement. SIPs expand the types of programs and locations in which Jayhawks can study, intern, or research abroad.

  • Directly enroll at a foreign institution, which is accredited by the Ministry of Education of the host country
  • Participate in a program administered by another accredited U.S. university or college
  • Participate in a program administered by a study abroad program provider

Students participating in a SIP remain enrolled at KU during their term abroad, which allows them to use institutional, state and federal financial aid, apply for KU and other scholarships, defer loan payments, and receive KU resident credit and grades for the courses they take. Students will work with both KU Study Abroad and their host university or program provider to complete all required paperwork. 

Many Jayhawks choose SIP programs and receive application and advising assistance from KU Study Abroad & Global Engagement. SIP students will also receive supports both pre-departure and while abroad, including pre-departure orientation to receive academic, cultural, and safety information, 24-hour emergency assistance with KU Study Abroad, and emergency medical evacuation and repatriation coverage for the study period.

Program Selection

Students searching for a study abroad program are encouraged to visit the Study Abroad Info Center or visit the SIP pages online. The Info Center is located in 105 Lippincott Hall and is staffed by Peer Advisors, KU students who have studied abroad. No appointment is necessary. There are brochures for many SIPs available in the Info Center.

Once a student has a specific program or region in mind, they must schedule an appointment to meet with the appropriate Study Abroad & Global Engagement program coordinator before beginning the KU SIP application. The program coordinator will confirm that the chosen program meets University of Kansas and SIP guidelines and discuss the SIP application process, program budget, scholarship opportunities, and the KU credit approval process.

The University of Kansas does not endorse any host university or program provider. The following list is not comprehensive, but includes opportunities the University of Kansas has approved for student-initiated programs. Though unlikely, approval may be revoked at any time due to safety or academic concerns.

Scandinavia and the Netherlands






Once students have selected a program, they will complete an application through their chosen program provider AND a KU SIP application. It's the student's responsibility to monitor application procedures and deadlines for their chosen program provider, which may differ from KU's deadlines. The KU SIP application deadlines are as follows:

  • Winter Break or Spring semester programs: October 1
  • Summer programs: February 15
  • Fall and Academic Year programs: March 15


All students who participate in SIPs are required to take part in the KU study abroad pre-departure orientation even if there is an on-site orientation arranged by the non-KU program. Study Abroad & Global Engagement orientation provides important academic, cultural, and safety information to all study abroad participants.


Students are required to maintain full-time student status (12 hours/semester) while abroad and post all courses to their KU transcript.  All courses must be approved prior to departure, while abroad, or upon return by the relevant academic department. They will be posted to the KU transcript as they appear on the student’s Academic Plan & Approval Form or Credit Worksheet with the accompanying grades earned.  Grades will be calculated into the student's KU GPA.

A signed and sealed official transcript (or equivalent document) must be provided to KU Study Abroad & Global Engagement. The transcript may be forwarded directly to the Study Abroad Program Coordinator or the student can hand-deliver a sealed copy.  Participants in Student-Initiated Programs (SIPs) will want to check with their provider or host institution to find out if their transcript will be sent automatically or if they must obtain one directly. 

Failing to complete the grade posting process will prevent graduation from KU and may have other implications such as immediate forfeiture of all financial aid, including return of scholarships and repayment of loans.

Students can study in a wide variety of locations around the world; however, out of concern for student safety and well-being, KU does not sponsor study abroad in locations where a U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory Level 3 or Level 4 has been issued. The classification level applied to each country can be accessed via the U.S. Department of State Website. Information on Level 3 or Level 4 regional designations within a country is available by reading the country-specific advisory. Exceptions to this policy will be considered by petition to the International Travel Review Committee (ITRC). For information on travel to high-risk locations see KU International Travel Policies.

While abroad, all KU study abroad participants will maintain student status at KU by enrolling in study abroad placeholder credits. Students studying abroad for a semester or academic year must maintain enrollment as a full-time student, which is at least 12 KU credits per semester. The University of Kansas requires that all courses taken abroad, including electives, be transferred back to the student's academic record at KU and all grades earned abroad will be calculated into the student's KU GPA.

Students will work with their academic advisor(s) to determine the courses that they can take while on their study abroad program. As part of the KU SIP application, students will complete the Academic Plan and Approval form, which allows students to find out how classes will transfer back to KU and make sure that the program they have selected is a good academic fit. The host organization can provide students with course syllabi or descriptions, which students will submit to departmental approvers to get KU course equivalents assigned. More information about obtaining course equivalents is available online.

Students should ensure that the transcript for their study abroad program is sent by the host organization to KU Study Abroad following completion of the program and that their study abroad courses are posted to their KU transcript by the end of the following academic term.

Each program provider or host institution will provide students with information about housing options for their program. Options typically include host families, residence halls, and apartments. 

Students can learn from the program provider or host institution about any cultural activities and/or excursions that might be included or offered to them.

SAGE is dedicated to creating international engagement opportunities that meet the needs of all our students and providing resources to support you through the process of studying abroad. Study abroad is achievable for students of all identities including our BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ students, students with disabilities, and students with religious/non-religious viewpoints. Before selecting a program, consider how your identities may impact your experience abroad in unique ways and talk with your Program Coordinator about any program-specific concerns. Students with documented disabilities should discuss any accommodation needs with their Program Coordinator early in the planning process.

Additional Resources

Check our Identity Abroad page and resources listed below for information specific to you and other students who may be on your program.

Undergraduate or graduate students may participate in a SIP as long as they meet the minimum 2.50 GPA requirement and are in good academic standing at KU. As with other programs, students must complete at least one academic term at KU prior to participating in study abroad. In all cases, the student must meet the sponsoring institution's eligibility requirements and must be accepted to the program by the sponsoring institution.

Students will work with their KU program coordinator to develop a comprehensive budget for their selected program that includes tuition and fees, housing and meals, travel expenses, passport and visa fees, health insurance, a KU SIP fee, and other costs associated with participating in the selected program.

The KU SIP fee includes an administrative fee, KU enrollment, KU resident credit and grade posting, access to federal and state financial aid, eligibility for study abroad scholarships, pre-departure orientation, 24-hour emergency contact services, access to the Alert Traveler safety app, and emergency medical evacuation and repatriation services. The KU SIP fee is billed through the KU Enroll & Pay system.

The KU program fee for participation in a Student-Initiated Program is as follows:

  • Summer/Short-Term: $580
  • Semester: $1,050
  • Academic Year: $1,330

All other program related expenses such as host organization fees, tuition, room and board, etc. will be paid directly to the host organization, not through KU.

KU students who qualify for federal financial aid in the form of loans, Pell Grant, and/or SEOG Grants or scholarships may apply the aid to the cost of a SIP.

KU Study Abroad offers individualized financial aid planning and advising and limited KU Study Abroad supplemental scholarships for degree-seeking students. Additionally, there are scholarship opportunities through KU departments and others outside KU. For those students who qualify, there are passport grants and airfare assistance. Read more about these opportunities and schedule a financial aid and scholarship advising appointment on the Costs and Funding page.

Some program providers offer scholarships to students participating on their programs. Information about these scholarships can be found on the program provider's website.

Students searching for a study abroad program are encouraged to meet with a Peer Advisor in the Study Abroad Info Center, located in 105 Lippincott. No appointment is necessary.  Students who decide to do a SIP are responsible for researching their options, finding an appropriate program, and meeting with a program coordinator to discuss the program. 

The following websites are useful tools for researching non-KU programs:

IIEPassport Study Abroad



Brochures for a number of non-KU programs are available in the Study Abroad Info Center.